20% bonus on purchased miles thru June 2012

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by erich, May 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. erich

erich Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking into a possible top-off, I noticed BMI just started a promotion on the sale of miles. 255GBP gets you 24,000. Caveat the avios transition all you want, but this may be worth it for a Europe-NA stopover-SA redemption (18,750 in C), especially if you can avoid the YQ by flying US EU->NA and originating your return in Brazil

Use flybmi's buy miles link

Special bonus offer - receive 20% more miles
    Purchase miles between 15 May, 2012 and 30 June, 2012 and you will automatically receive a 20% bonus on the number of miles purchased.

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buying isn't recommended!

3. erich

erich Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never thought I'd hear that from a real estate broker.

Regardless, this might be helpful for those looking to top-off an account before the Star Alliance exit.

Speculators in Boston may want to grab 24,000 and dig up another 1,000 for a to Ireland in the expensive summer months (given availability constraints, using Avios and Aer Lingus)

NYC & YUL members with interest in visiting the other city can buy roundtrips for under $200 at this price (Avios short haul domestic)

North Americans starting with zero miles can buy the full 24,000 allotment and go for a round trip to Europe in coach plus a ~$300 cash supplement ($700 to Europe during summer with 2 stopovers can be a winner, though do note the difficulties of intra Europe travel given no Lufthansa group redemptions). Europeans visiting the US may have more difficulty minimizing YQ, though they'll have better stopover opportunities.

Now, for those that like the Avios options and want to wait, you can gamble DC is still around and offers the 50% bonus they've offered in the past two Decembers to buy miles

4. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL, there are occasions where purchasing miles does make sense. Many people purchases AA miles prior to the MM program rules being changed. I can completely understand when it comes to topping off an account, otherwise not such a good idea. The airlines only sell miles because it is profitable for them.

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be profitable for them (or, strictly speaking, perhaps less unprofitable than letting an empty seat fly on a plane ;)), but if you're buying miles at less than 2 (US) cents per mile and redeeming for perceived value of more than that, it's a win-win situation for both you and the airline (or alliance partner). They make money selling some discounted inventory that wasn't likely to sell at current prices (thus the award availability), you get a discount from the usual purchase price.

Case in point (not specific to BD, but specific to me): I've bought US miles at < 2cpm (sometimes much less) that have allowed me to route RTW twice (in C and in F) in the past 12 months. It might not be so easy to find coach tickets that get me to Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Europe on the same trip for much less than $2000 all-in that don't involve lot of arcane fuel dumping tricks- I flew those flights in business and first for not much more than that when it was all said and done.