20 best U.S. airports for tech travelers

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Dec 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/20-best-us-airports-tech-travelers-181850

Walking past laptop-toting digital nomads who huddle around the outlets lining the concourse, you arrive at your gate with 30 minutes to spare. You have a 6-hour flight in front of you, and a laptop and a smartphone that need a full charge to keep you working and listening to music throughout the flight. You stalk the gate area. The two available outlets on the payphone are taken. No outlets on the walls. The remaining minutes before departure click down. A baby is crying. (Please, please, please, you think, don't seat me next to the baby...). "Final call for boarding." Your laptop has an hour of life left, and so does your phone. When both are dead, your noise-canceling headphones will be useless. You board and approach your seat. You're in 16B. The baby, in 16C, is already crying...

Read More: http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/20-best-us-airports-tech-travelers-181850

uggboy likes this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, not to be a curmudgeon, but I don't get the point of that article. I mean, I get what they are saying, but the overall article implies that people are going to fly in/out of a specific airport for the amount of outlets and wi-fi at gates?

For myself, if I know I won't have time to plug in to power and/or the internet, I adjust to the situation.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's more about being aware of what you are getting into.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. But one always have to be prepared and rely on self. What about if those outlets do not work?

Captain Oveur likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely, but going into the airport it still helps to know how futile my search for a good seat with a power outlet will be. Since I only stop at 1 of the 20 airports on the list... quite futile :)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I carry a Monster Multiple outlet cord. So If someone is plugged in you can always ask nicely to share. I have never had anyone tell me no.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why I have not thought about that :confused: