2-Year Status Extension for HH Members on the AMEX Surpass: Reality or a Glitch

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by NYCUA1K, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Did you get a 2-yr status extension on the AMEX Surpass? If YES, which Q did you requalify status?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2013.
  1. NO

28.6%
  2. YES

71.4%
  3. Q1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Q2

14.3%
  5. Q3

14.3%
  6. Q4

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let us get to the bottom of the above recurrent question by taking this informal poll and responding truthfully. It is open to ALL Surpass holders and there are three possible answers:

A. No, you did not get a 2-year status extension on the Surpass [you are done]

B. Yes, if you got a 2-year extension on the Surpass [you have one more choice below]

...and if "Yes", then tell us in which quarter of 2011 you re/qualified status through Surpass spend:
    1. Q1
    2. Q2
    3. Q3
    4. Q4

If you had a 2-year extension in prior years but did not get it again in 2011 to 2014, then your answer should be "no". Note 1-yr extension is to March of 2013 and a 2-year extension is to March of 2014.

This could be useful information and it is all for fun. Let us not take it to the rabid level that it was at the "other site", and thank you for your honest participation.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get a card from HH saying your tier expiration? You should feel lucky in that sense.

particlemn likes this.
  3. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay shameless plug to help me out to get a few extra hilton points, but if this poll has anyone thinking of trying the hilton surpass card to try for 2 year extension send me your email via conversation and i will forward you a referal invite email you get 60k with 3k spend i get 20k for the referal

4. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as the accounts of this 2 years upgrade this is how i have seen it, Apply now for surpass card and get automaticaly upgraded to gold for all this year plus all next year(one full year) plus through March 2014, then during 2012 meet spend threshhold of 20k get upgraded to gold now for an extra year march 2015, if you then meet 40k spend theresh hold upgrade to diamond but only thru march 2015 so you get "2" years of diamond.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hit 20 K spend approx. Sept on the no-fee HH Amex card. Upgraded to "Surpass" on 1/1/12. Got a two-year (26 months, through 3/14) "Gold" card in early Feb. Don't know under which of the two criteria I met they did this for me, thus didn't answer the poll..

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aha, this is actually easy to explain. You did not get a 2 year extension. You just got the normal 1 year because you upgraded to the Surpass in 2012!!! That means, you will get status for the remainder of 2012 (the qualification year), then all of the following year (2013). which is the year you qualified for, and then status end in 03/13.

Contrary to what you said in the other thread, you just got the normal 1-year extension.

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, maybe. But then there's this, from the "Surpass" T&C I was given:

"Your upgrade will expire after 12 months unless

your eligible purchases during the next calendar

year again qualifies you for an upgrade."

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress...lCards/HiltonHHonorsSurpass/HiltonSurpass.pdf

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is normal for all of us. Status expires at the end of one year unless you requalify, So, your "one year" is: the rest of 2012 (rest of year during which one qualifies is always a freebie so you get 2012 for free), then all of 2013 (that is your "one year"), and status always expires on March of following year (03/2014).

It is fully consistent; you got one year because your base year is 2012, and not 2011...

9. Silver Springer

Silver Springer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband recently received two cards after spending 40K finishing in December 2011--first showed Diamond through March 2013, second one received a week or so later showed Diamond through March 2014--woo hoo!

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for another data point! The second card was issued because AMEX finished processing in 2012, making that the qualification or base year. A one-year extension from 2012 is to March 2014. Cheers!

11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    deleted based on too much info

cheers

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stupid question time: I didn't get an HHonors physical card, so how do I know if I got an extension or not?

When I converted from the regular HH Amex card to the Surpass late last year, they cut my credit limit by $500 (weird), then sent me a strange note saying they'd waived the annual fee anyway.

13. Silver Springer

Silver Springer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You earn diamond by spending $40K within a calendar year. You can also tell by going online on American Express and clicking the online statement until you get annual and see if they have your 40K spending recorded. If so, you will get Diamond. If not call them

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm nowhere near 40k yet, but will look when that happens.