2 x $400 bump vouchers combinable for international flight?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kayjay, Aug 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got bump paper vouchers for $400 (4 x $100 vouchers) 2 months back and another $400 (4 x $100 voucher) paper vouchers last week for volunteering with United flight.
    1. How can I use them? Seperately as $400 or can I combine them together as$800 for an International flight?
    2. Can I also use them as $200 four times?
    3. Can I combine one $400 paper voucher with electronic certificates?

2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't combine coupons from separate voucher "booklets". You can use 1, 2, 3 or 4 coupons from one booklet on one ticket.

1. Separately.
    2. Yes. (using 2 coupons from one booklet).
    3. I don't think so. (usually none of these are combinable, but the Type B vouchers that you have are generally combinable with one type A coupon, if you have any of them. I'm not sure how they classify the e-certs. The CS vouchers that they replaced were type A coupons.)

There might be creative ways to use them, but I've never done any of that. (Refundable tickets or something like that.)

-David

sobore likes this.
  3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct tho there are ways to "make it work" ;)

As to combining bump vouchers from different booklets, if you are ticketing at the airport*, it all depends on the agent and as to combining paper and electronic certs, where I have not personally done it, there have been reports that web-support will (again, depending upon the agent) apply the e-cert and allow you to hold the reservation so you can go to the airport and ticket*

*the key is going to the airport vs ticketing by mail

sobore likes this.
  4. lunettes noires
    Original Member

lunettes noires Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your flight is in a market where one-way tickets cost half (assuming any international destinations fall in that category) you could always book each way separately with a different booklet.

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best thing is to request to put the reservation on hold and explain you have vouchers to turn in at the airport for ticketing. I strongly recommend ticketing at the airport anyways so you do not have to worry about placing vouchers in the mail.

With regards to applying the vouchers it does vary by agent. I have found in the past you can combine vouchers that are of the same type(Type B vouchers or Type AB vouchers, etc.), but the problem appears to be combining non combineable vouchers( where the rules state this) or combining different voucher types( Type B and Type A).

6. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you'd just call to set up the ticket and tell them you have the vouchers and will do final ticketing at the airport. (I'd like to use 4 $100 from one book of type B along with 4 other $100 from another book of type B) I guess if they refuse to do it you could just tell them you need more time or just let the hold run out?

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct as to telling the agent you are using vouchers and want to ticket at the airport but keep in mind that the hold period for ticketing at the airport with vouchers is 24 hours* vs 2 weeks if ticketing by mail and as to if "one from book A and one from book B" will work, yes, it will be up to the agent at the airport (and if It was me and I was not able to do it, I would have the agent at the airport cancel the reservation vs letting the hold expire so to free up the inventory for another pax to use :))

*I don't know if it's 24 hours from the time of ticketing or 11:59pm (Chicago time) the next evening