2 SWUs Expiring 31/01/12

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Samuel Sidler, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Samuel Sidler

Samuel Sidler Active Member

Status Points:
    I have two SWUs expiring end of this month and would be happy to use them to apply to someone's travel. Ideally, I'd love to trade with someone, two for one (I have a one-way April trip I'd like to apply them to), but if no one can or wants to do that, I'm happy to apply for free.

I'm taking off in four days for a couple weeks without the internet, so I hope to have this wrapped up by then. Anyone interested in trading?

Golfingboy, canucklehead and genemk2 like this.
  2. vjjohnson3

vjjohnson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a new 1K member so I don't know everything about MileagePlus yet. Can those certificates be used to upgrade on a united ps services flight as in lax-jfk?
    Or just on international flights?
    I have an lax-jfk flight to take in Friday that I am looking to upgrade.

Not sure if this helps you or not.

3. Samuel Sidler

Status Points:
    I've never used them on a p.s. flight (or flown on a p.s. flight for that matter), but their website says "On two- or three-cabin flights operated by United® or United Express®" ... I'm guessing that excludes p.s. flights. The rules are here.

And welcome to 1K! (I didn't make it this year, sadly.)

4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can absolutely use the SWUs on the p.s. flights.

5. Samuel Sidler

Status Points:
    Then I stand corrected! Apologies for leading you astray.

6. vjjohnson3

vjjohnson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In that case I would love to use the swu's on my Friday flight or I just realized after reading more that these may be able to be used on my lax Sydney trip on 1/26/12 as well.

To trade I may be able to offer some good stuff. I was a delta diamond last year and I have 380,000 delta Skymiles as well as 4 cash voucher certificates for different values.

Thanks Samuel and let me know how to get I touch with you.

7. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    In order to use a SWU on an Intl flight the tkt must be a 'W' fare basis or higher, if you dont know what the fare basis is off hand on your tkt, log into your UA acct and click the box for 'My Reservations' then click the green box by your SYD Itin that should show you your details and the fare basis will be in the ( ) on the right side of each flight

8. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If these SWUs are expiring in 1/12, that means that they were good for all of 2011 and were earned in 2010 (since the OP says that he did not make 1K for this year, I presume that he did not earn the SWUs in 2011). He did not say if they were CO or UA SWUs, but if they are CO SWUs, then they would be good on any fare.
    So, the question is, how do you find out what fares your SWUs are good for? Do you have to call OP or MP, or can you find out on-line?

9. Samuel Sidler

Status Points:
    Sorry, I was a UA 1K and they were indeed earned in 2010. I attempted to use them last month, but the flight had a full (!!!) business class. Alas. Thus, these are UA SWUs... a bit less valuable.

For international travel (outside of North America / the Caribbean, essentially), these require "Economy class booking codes Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V and W, and business class booking codes C, D and J." Based on this website.

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. You can use them on P.S. Some flyers use them on short haul domestic too.

SC Flier likes this.
  11. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got an international segment on CO metal on 1/16, but no R space available currently. :(

12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've got a trip on a 3 class 777 before the end of the month that this would make a lot more comfortable

13. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Won't be able to use it.. Just dropped by to appreciate your gifting spirit

14. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 2010 CO SWUs are only good for any fare class on CO operated flights, on UA operated flights a W or higher fare is required. LAX-SYD is operated by UA, so the statement that 'W' or higher is required is correct in this context. Though, I suppose is this is somewhat irrelevant since they are UA SWUs.

15. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm unsure if I understand correctly as I'm "new to the club", but I do have a flight coming up (Y class) in January (NAP-MUC-IAD) and I'd love to use it from MUC-IAD, but I only have 2 "regional" upgrades to offer. I am active duty military, but I am stationed abroad and don't ever have any CONUS flights. If I can somehow offer something for the SWU, I'd love to try out something other than E+ :)
    If not, well, as kyunbit said, thank you for offering!

16. Samuel Sidler

Status Points:
    Just an update...

I'm working with vjjohnson3 over PM. It looks like he can both SWUs this month (on international travel no less). Since he spoke up first, I'm going to try and set him up in the next day or two. If that doesn't work out, I'll report back here and the next that spoke up will get a chance. As I was telling vjjohnson3, I'd prefer to use them on long international travel if at all possible because it'll really improve the trip, versus upgrading someone on a few hour flight. His SYD flight is a great candidate. :)

canucklehead likes this.
  17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very generous offer gifting or otherwise!

18. Samuel Sidler

Status Points:
    Just an update...

These SWUs have been given to vjjohnson. Hopefully they'll improve his trip to Sydney and make his challenge a bit easier. :)

Counsellor and dhammer53 like this.
  19. JTF

JTF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again Samuel. About to board my upgraded flight. Appreciate the love.