2 p.m. CDT - Tornadoes near Dallas; one very close to DFW

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Apr 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes!

Two separate cells, appear pretty damn serious. The second storm - the one distinct from the one near DFW - was shown on television tossing semi-trailers stories high into the air. Pretty bad.

EDIT: 2:15 p.m. CDT: Tornado-connected storm currently right over DFW. No tornado reported at the airport per-se, though had been reported in connection with the history of this cell. HOWEVER, severe hail (1-in., "quarter-sized") apparently bombarding the airport. Understatement from The Weather Channel: "this is not good news for the airplanes." Jeeze, this is all that AA, its planes and its customers needed.

DFW under a ground stop. Delays currently at 160 minutes, expected to increase.

perryplatypus, unavaca and sobore like this.
  2. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    These were/are actually among tonight's top stories here (London). Wow, the video feeds are unbelievable. "Positive thoughts" for Dallas, Texas, for sure....

desamo, LETTERBOY and perryplatypus like this.
  3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    All DFW operations suspended; all flights canceled. Ouch.

It's a zoo even at ORD, but Admirals Club folks are doing a great job helping stranded passengers.

desamo, LETTERBOY and perryplatypus like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw one with two tanker trucks flying through the air.

perryplatypus likes this.
  5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I work for the company that has the orange trucks that were tossed around. I was just there yesterday afternoon. No word on any casualties but right next to the trucking company are two very large truck stops. If you are interested the trucking company is located at the intersection of I45 and I20 on the southern side of Dallas.

LETTERBOY and perryplatypus like this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Local news here in Houston just said AA (and southwest) are inspecting every aircraft in the Dallas area to make sure no hail damage before letting them fly.

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good. With all the reports of gusts, and particularly biga$$ hail, they pretty much have no choice. I have Facebook 'likes' with a bunch of airports, including LAX, OKC and ICT, and they are all moving FB alerts that their own ops are all messed up because of DFW. Sad, but to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    so... I have a flight tomorrow evening, DCA-MIA.
    What are the chances of it being cancelled?
    Anything I can do now preemptively? I need to get to MIA...
    Not sure what to do!?!

9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not smart enough to finesse all the schedules to see if your all-east-coast flight's equipment somehow transitions DFW before it gets to Reagan. Possible, I suppose, but I tend to doubt it, and my guess is you are not in high danger of a cancellation. Do need to watch the current areas of unsettled weather to make sure they don't play havoc along the seaboard tomorrow, of course'.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

perryplatypus and desamo like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless the unsettled weather is gonna be around the area tomorrow and you're flying AA -- on one of the planes that was pelted today -- I wouldn't worry much.

But of course you should check with the airline and find out... maybe follow your flights online and see if they show any changes.

Gizmodo has reader pictures that look serious though... not golf balls but baseball-sized.

[​IMG]

perryplatypus, LETTERBOY and garyst16 like this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    This from the Dallas Morning News website:

"D/FW International Airport spokesman David Magaña said that airlines reported more than more than 110 aircraft sustained varying degrees of hail damage during the storm."

12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    it was one of the "top stories" on the news here in London this morning....pictures and videos are just staggering.

TheBeerHunter and perryplatypus like this.
  13. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to track where my flight usually originates from... and it doesn't route through DFW... so fingers crossed!

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  14. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Read on TOBB that over 1500 mainline + 500+ Eagle flights have been cancelled. A LOT of damaged aircraft, apparently. :( What a terrible time for this sort of "act of God" to hit AA.

Kudos to all the staff working through to reschedule/reroute affected passengers.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Dallas Morning News, which I tend to favor a little more than TOBB, is reporting 500 AA + Eagle flights cancelled today. In addition to those cancelled yesterday, this would by my accounting put the number just under 1,000 so far. What I don't know about is flights that were supposed to leave DFW and then come back. Is maybe one tabulator counting those as one cancellation and the other as two? Dunno. I agree, this is one of the last things AA, its people, its customers and its planes needed right now. I found interesting the Morning News blog statement that MD-80s were particularly time consuming on which to do inspections???? http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/american-american-eagle-cancel.html

16. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my IND-DFW-LAS flight has been cancelled and I can't change it online. The reservations line is only giving automated information. Thank god for Twitter. They are trying to help me out.

perryplatypus and kansaskeith like this.
  18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be a good idea to capitalize "God." Last thing AA needs is another Act of Him, lol!

LETTERBOY and TheBeerHunter like this.
  19. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight to DFW on the trip LAX-DFW-NRT was cancelled and I was rebooked on another one which was also cancelled. Had to call EXP desk and asked to be put on the direct flight LAX-NRT which I would lose my SWU upgrade. I don't know if I will survive the 11h40m trip in the exit seats.

legalalien and perryplatypus like this.
  20. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had my flight on Friday DFW/IAH cancelled today but was lucky enough to be booked on a later flight. I am like 300 miles short of EXP and the mileage gods are taunting me :confused:

TheBeerHunter and legalalien like this.
  21. Flight today was cancelled and rebooked on the next flight out. My upgrade cleared too, so overall i'm not to inconveinced. Looking outside I see a least 5 MD80s sitting out of service around terminal A & C.