2 of the same card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by lucky1, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lucky1

lucky1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 freedom cards from Chase, does it mean I can apply for 2 of the same card [2 Sapphire etc] or I will only get one bonus?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried to read the T&C?

deant likes this.
  3. lucky1

lucky1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    of what?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of the cards and whatever bonus promo you hope to use. I would never rely on an anonymous answer on the Internet as a substitute for verifying the rules myself.

lucky1 and deant like this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

For every credit card application there are "Terms and Conditions" which apply. They will normally tell you if the bonus applies for "first time" customers. If you look at those T&C's it will answer your question.

It is important to remember that this is a sharing community and even new members can provide their insight on flying and what is happening. Look forward to you sharing your flying and mileage experiences with us.

lucky1 and autolycus like this.
  6. lucky1

lucky1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that bonus offers may only apply for first time applies,however it was more puzzling for me that I have 2 of the same card,is that normal to happen, or is it some type of glitch? my conception was that its impossible to have 2 of the same card,untill I realized I have 2,

as far as getting the sign up bonus twice, I read on another site where the blogger as well as many members over there claim they have 'churned' literally every card a couple of times, especially Chase and amex,but I guess I shouldn't relay on it,
    but again my situation is where I currently have two of the same card is that normal?

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it be that one of your two cards was the result of another card being acquired by or sold to another financial institution? Having slightly different forms of one's name on the card should not work when they are tied to the same social security number if the rule is one card per person. Another exception which should be apparent on the card would be that one is a business card or card sponsored by the employer in some way for business travel purposes. If one is a debit card and the oth a credit card, that should also be readily apparent.

8. lucky1

lucky1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    none apply to me,
    the only thing I can think of, although no explanation,
    1 of the cards is linked to my overdraft protection.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am confused: you have two different Freedom cards (different account numbers) and you don't know or recall how you got them?

different credit card issuers have different churning policies. Chase tends to be one of the stricter ones (nowadays) and you typically get a bonus for each type of card only once. But note that cards change over time. Eg look at the various UA mileage plus cards they have issued over the last few years.

Welcome to MP!

lucky1 likes this.
  10. lucky1

lucky1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    leme be more exact, beginning of this winter when I came across this forum as well as another cc churning forum, my wife when ahead to check if she has a credit report,since she wasn't aware of any cc she ownes, [we are us citizens but we live abroad] she checked it on myfico.com and was amazed to see a score of 806!! the reason: 2 cc's 5k CL each, never ever used, open from 2005/2006 however she never to her recollection applied for any cc, the Chase monthly bank statement always said something about a 5k credit line, but since we reside overseas most of the year and being that Chase wasn't her primary bank she never paid attn to it,
    we phoned up Chase saying we lost the cc's they sent two new ones in the mail,
    bottom line YES she has 2 Chase freedom cards 1 opened 2005 the other 2006 she has no idea how,what,where but thats the fact

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is probably the reason.