2 Muslim Men Kicked Off Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Horse, May 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy and N965VJ like this.
  2. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Racism rears its ugly head again!

goalie and N965VJ like this.
  3. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know which is worse, the racism or the stupidity.

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paranoia at its best. :eek:

5. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very sad.

We should all acquire traditional Muslim attire and wear it on flights, just to make a point or two.

N965VJ likes this.
  7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that is an idea...... :D

N965VJ likes this.
  8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pilot will have to do lots of explaining to the company....especially after the two Muslim were given a secondary screening by the TSA and declared safe to fly.
    The pilot should have been removed from the flight to make a point that discrimination based on race is not acceptable at this airline.

N965VJ and KENNECTED like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a coordinated effort. Pick a particular day or week and every MP/FT flyer flying during that time flies in traditional Muslim clothing. 4th of July weekend maybe?

N965VJ and milchap like this.
  10. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition, they should be required to publicly apologize, take mandatory "sensitivity" training, and be fined. The airline should be fined as well!

N965VJ likes this.
  11. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there another side to this story?

12. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that I've seen.

Mike

13. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a quick google search using keywords Atlantic Delta Muslim and the first relevant search took me to the Christian Science Monitor. The article was straightforward with the facts. One detail I did pick up was that on arrival, the pilot told the pax that it was TSA that called the plane back to the gate. They also reported that TSA said the recall was initiated by the airline

The problem was that nearly all of the comments were in support of the pilot, and those who spoke out to say it was wrong got trashed by the other commenters. I went back to other similar articles in today's media and saw comments that mostly criticized the pilot and the airline(s).

Here I thought that CSM was a reputable news source. (I know, the comments aren't by the editors/journalists, but media outlets and their viewers/readers tend to support each others' views.)

Certainly not a very "Christian" attitude.

N965VJ and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I looked at a few other stories, too, and was quite surprised by the number of bigoted/racist and idiotic comments on Yahoo News (yeah, I know, the bastion of journalism just reprinted Reuters, but still the audience is scary)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110507/us_nm/us_muslims_plane

N965VJ likes this.
  15. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The irony is that they were on their way to a conference on Islamophobia.

N965VJ likes this.
  16. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not good.

N965VJ likes this.
  17. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, the CSM is a very reputable news source. As you point out, you can't help who writes in or reads your paper.

Mike

N965VJ likes this.
  18. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last week I was on AAnother airline and there was a gentleman in traditional Muslim garb in the waiting area. He was reading and at one point got out his compass and (I imagine) located East. I was wondering if he was going to do his praying right then and there. I was sorta hoping that he was, just to watch the reaction of the two women next to me who were clearly uncomfortable, but I'm just cruel that way.

I often find it helpful to point out to people that the fact that while Muslims committed the atrocities of 9/11, it was a Christian who blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City, and they're not regarded with suspicion based solely on that.

19. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm always amused by the bigots who are afraid of Muslims at the airport. I frequently hear people justifying extra "care" for Muslims by saying, "How many terrorist acts are committed by non-Muslims?" I'm not sure how they do math on their planet, but the more appropriate question is, "What percentage of Muslims commit terrorist acts?" Much more valid question.

Mike

N965VJ, canucklehead and KENNECTED like this.
  20. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    N965VJ likes this.
  21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mr. Broberg's response offers no insight into the incident. The apology is sorely deficient in reasoning. How long would it take to discuss this with the pilot, co-pilot and flight crew? No culpability, no responsibility, barely an apology! :rolleyes:

22. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. What I got is non apology and Delta stating this is an ASA incident.

They want to distance themselves from the issue and put the issue in ASA's lap, yet acknowledge that the customers affected were Delta customers. We know the difference, but I think there is a high probability the general flying public wont.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Very disappointing response indeed. Might as well not have posted anything and I'd have been less annoyed with Delta.

What was the reason for "rescreening" the two passengers in the first place? Can I get random people rescreened by expressing that I am concerned about the safety of the flight with them onboard?

Why were they allowed on a later flight but not the one they were booked on? If other passengers were uncomfortable, they should have asked those passengers to deplane and buy new tickets.

What Delta/ASA owes these passengers is a representative going to their conference on the topic of islamophobia and explain what happened, why it happened, and how Delta/ASA will work to prevent this from happening again. If they had done that, I'd respect them. With this post... not so much.

N965VJ and canucklehead like this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if they'll actually approve/publish my comment, but I took a moment to register on the Delta blog and submitted this comment:

"Mr. Broberg, I am disappointed by this post. You had all weekend to discuss with the crew what happened, and I would imagine it wouldn’t take more than a few hours to get to the bottom of the situation by talking to all the involved parties. Yet, all we are seeing here is general statements about pilots having responsibility for safety and security and authority over the aircraft, and we’re reminded that even though the passengers likely bought a Delta ticket, the outsourcing deal puts the responsibility on ASA’s shoulders.

It’s nice to know that your Delta ground crew apologized and tried to make the passengers comfortable after re-screening the passengers (by the way, can you explain why they had to be re-screened?). If they apologized, they surely knew that the two passengers were being wronged by the crew and company. What are your plans going forward to prevent others from facing the same situation? (a quick Google search reveals that this wasn’t Delta’s first such incident)"

KENNECTED, N965VJ and canucklehead like this.
  25. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    But most importantly, although we were not the operators of the flight, these passengers are our customers and we would like to join Atlantic Southeast once again in offering an apology for any impact the situation had on both them and their travel.

the buck has been passed!

N965VJ likes this.