2 hour 'spill' delay on sea-ams

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by seaflyer, Jul 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a rather bizarre experience today as I waited for my seattle to amsterdam 232 flight. There was an announcement 20 minutes after boarding was due to start that there had been a 'spill' on the airplane and the outgoing flight was delayed while they looked for a steam cleaner to clean the airplane. They instructed all passengers in row 29 (exit row by the lavs) to come to the desk for seat reassignment. Although they did not announce this to the general public, the 'spill' was some sort of overflow from the lavatory. Yuck. 2 hours later they invited passengers to board the plane, but cautioned passengers that there might be a smell on the plane and that people could change seats once the doors closed if they wished. I'm not sure why they didn't just swap out the A330 with another plane instead of having a potential public health risk, regardless, not the best way to start out a 9.5 hour flight! :eek:

ryandc99, Lufthansa Flyer and jrp2 like this.
  2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds like a crappy ordeal to me.

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree that it's not a great way to start a flight.

But: (1) Likely DL doesn't have a spare plane to swap out, esp. in SEA
    (2) Unlikely is a public health risk - more likely just an unpleasant odor
    (3) Steam cleaning is probably all they ever do in this situation

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly!

Lufthansa Flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good points, thanks Seacarl. I suppose it's just one of those things that happens when you have many travelers in small spaces. The incoming flight was from Tokyo and I sincerely hope that this mishap was at the end of that long flight!

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once when I dropped a colleague off for a US flight and could access the gate (as well as inviting him into the NW lounge because I had a boarding pass for a NW flight within 24 hours), the US GA announced very explicitly that the plane MSP-PHL would be delayed due to an overflowing lavatory. Somehow no one complained about the delay. They messed around trying to fix it for an hour or two and then announced that the flight was going to leave with fewer than the usual complement of operational lavatories. There was also some sort of a hint announced that people should use the restrooms in the terminal before boarding. The raw sewage smell was so bad that it escaped the aircraft and came up the jetway, so that it could be noticed near the podium. Ick! It must have been a very unpleasant flight even in FC. I was shocked that this would be allowed.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My dad once told me about an NW 744 flight DTW-NRT where the toilets stopped functioning. Unfortunately pax needed to keep relieving themselves. He told me the aircraft was like an open latrine by the time it reach Narita. Sounds totally gross.

ryandc99 and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    some airplanes (if not most) are just a biological petri dish :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    shoulda just opened some windows.

wait... nmind

TravelerRob likes this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points: