2 days in Sydney

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by hamboarder, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I will be in Sydney for two days this weekend. Any must-do's or must-see's? Any restaurant recommendations?

secretsea18 and loadera like this.
  2. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couple of sites to get you going.

http://www.therocks.com/

http://www.darlingharbour.com/

If your not up to a bridge climb then getting out on the water with a ferry ride can be fun.

http://www.sydneyferries.info/

You can have lunch with a view here

http://www.quay.com.au/

Jump a train to Bondi Beach

http://www.bondivillage.com/

More general information here

http://www.sydney.com.au/

I like to wander down in the rocks area, quite a few nice pubs there, also a walk along Circular Quay is hard to beat.

Have fun with your stay [​IMG]

3. rjb
    Original Member

rjb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't see where you hail from. Maybe get out & see a game of the 1st round of the NRL-our very physical brand of footy confined mainly to Aust & Nthn England. Also there is some excellent thoroughbred raing on on Sat. A ferry trip to manly for a drink & meal should be fun if the weather is good. Taronga Zoo is also worthwhile.

4. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a two day mileage run there a couple of years ago. If I were doing it again, I'd plan part of a day around Bondi Beach.. Maybe lunch there. I took a bus from my hotel in the central area and it took around 40 minutes as I remember. The other thing I'd see is the area around The Rocks. It's quaint with great views of the bridge and opera house. One thing I did which was really fun was to have a cocktail at sunset at a highrise hotel near The Rocks. All of the harbor was below and it was spectacular. If you're on United heading back, go to the club (I think it's run by Air New Zealand.. The Koru Club) and say hi to Annie. She's amazing. If she hears your name once, you can return five years later and she'll remember it. She does her best to get everyone their favorite seat and tries to get them upgraded.

5. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Rocks is OK - a little fancy for me. As you're walking from the Harbour Bridge to the Opera House, keep walking and go through the Botanic Gardens. It's fantastic. Kings Cross can be fun, if gritty, especially at night. I second the Circular Quay and Bondi recommendations. Plenty of food around Bondi.

wiredboy likes this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    If its your first time keep it simple. See the tourist sights. They're sights for a reason.

The bridge climb is too dang expensive in my mind.

Take a ferry. Go out to Manly and back. Go to Watson's Bay and have lunch at the Watson's Bay Hotel with a view back to the city.

Go walk Cockle Bay and Darling Harbor.

Bondi might be the more famous, but I would go to Manly for your beach fix. It includes a ferry ride as well and you have limited time. If the main beach at Manly is a bit crowded/too much, walk to the right around to Shelly Beach.

If you're there on the weekend, hit the Rocks Market. Not a lot there and slightly expensive, but worth a look. Stop into Hathi Jewelry shop. Its on the rock street just behind the Info Center. Excellent stuff in there for someone special.

Hit several of the pubs. Rocks pubs are pricier than some others around town, but in 2 days you can't do too much damage so just go with it.

The Botanical Gardens comes right up to the Opera House. Nice walk especially around the edge of it.

Food, I recommend Yellow in Potts Point. The Bar with No Name in Balmain East. And Baroque in the Rocks.

Get a drink at the Opera Bar and take in the scenes.

The bottom line is if its your first time, have fun and enjoy being there. With only 2 days I assume you're planning to come back again.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two words. Tiger pie.

[​IMG]

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had more fun in Manly Beach than Bondi, both because it was a ferry ride rather than subway/bus to get there and because I enjoyed the shops and restaurants in the area more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also recommend walking across the bridge and heading to brunch on the north side of the harbor. There are a ton of options and you can take the metro back across if you don't want to walk back. I don't remember the names of the places I ate at there but they were very good (and I can probably find them if you really want). Very chill sort of "normal" meal rather than feeling like a tourist.

9. Thanks all for the suggestions! All sound pretty great. Not sure how much I can do in two days but it'll be nice just to see some of the spots/check out the scene. It'll be my first time, I'm from California. Tiger pie looks interesting..

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Harry's Cafe de Wheels is essentially on the other side of the Botanical Gardens from the Opera House. So if you do that, combine with this.

hamboarder likes this.
  11. Good to know :)

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ferry ride to Manly (don't you love the name) will take your breath away. It's a spectacular ride, passing low cliffs and what looks like almost wide open ocean.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    For inexpensive shopping and souveniers, I'd recommend Paddy's Market...locals can verify this, but it's open on weekends and either Wednesdayor Thursday....also inexpensive food court upstairs in the regular Mall....I like the Indian stall....

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Down by The Rocks. The opera house and the bridge:

15. Try smh dot com dot au - travel. search 48 hours in sydney. all good suggestions they even suggest taking a look at the airport - haha
    Also take a river cat ferry to Sydney rowing club for a Sunday afternoon. Ferry stop: Abbotsford and just a hundred metre's on the right. Sit out on the balcony and take in the music, views and people, if you can find a seat outside. take the ferry or 504 bus back to the city over Anzac bridge or stop off at Rozelle or Balmain on the way back.
    By the Opera house is the Opera bar - probably one of the best views of the inner city and lots of people watching etc. Probably the best street on Sat night is Oxford St, mostly for the sights ( whatever way you fly) but the bars are pretty good too.

16. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In August I went for 3 days. For lunch, I went to Quay, Aria and Marque. The only one I would go back to way Quay. I was by myself and had a great time. Fantastic location, great food, amazing service. I love to go out for lunch instead of dinner, but that's just me

17. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    manly ferry is a nice trip

18. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP should have completed their trip by now. I'm curious to hear back what was seen and done.

19. Get a taxi to the airport and fly to melbourne - make a good use of your 2 days ;)

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is terrible advice....

Everyone knows you should take the train to the airport. :p

Platinum likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would go to the aquarium for the sharks and take the ferry to the zoo. (Ride the cable car to the top and walk down. Be sure to go inside the enclosure with the kangaroos, ideally when it's not crowded.) I'm not brave enough for the bridge walk, but I like the Rocks. Get at least one good meal in a modern Australian cuisine restaurant with an Australian wine from a small vineyard you don't know. Eat local fish. See some Australian art, either in the modern art museum at the beginning of the Rocks, near the ferries, or in the main national gallery near the botanical garden. Take time to savor views of the bridge and the opera house.

22. LOL

Everyone know's Melbourne is the culture capital of Australia, we are much nicer people down here and we have the best coffee :)