2 Class award tickets on 3 class chart

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by merice107, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never booked an award ticket before so I was wondering what reward price you pay in miles when booking a ticket when the aircraft only has business class and economy class. Do you have to pay the BC award amount on the three class award chart? Or do they charge you for FC? Example, flying on a Qatar from Chicago to Doha, they only have two classes on the aircraft (economy and business). Would I have to use the amount of miles for BC on the American Airlines award chart for BC? Or would that be considered FC award since your are flying the highest level cabin?

Does that change if one of the flights is on a 3 class cabin aircraft and you book BC the whole ticket?

Is this airline specific?

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's still Business Class since they sell it as Business Class not First Class. United's BusinessFirst is Business Class as well.

The only airline I can think of that charges First Class for a two-cabin is US Airways when using Aeroplan miles since US classifies their domestic First as "O" fare instead of the usual "I" fare.

Mikus33, chrislacey and merice107 like this.
  3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perfect thanks! That makes sense, but I am quickly learning in this hobby "making sense" does not always mean that is how things actually work...:)

chrislacey likes this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. We don't bite ;)

chrislacey and merice107 like this.
  5. chevyrecycler34

chevyrecycler34 Active Member

Status Points:
    Seems like Qatar are moving away from 1st class and relying more on a 2 class, Economy and Business layout, they dont do Premium economy either.
    Case in point is on the new 787 Dreamliner theyre trying to fly has two classes, indeed the guy in charge has gone live explaining why Qatar are flying just the 2 classes.
    We looked at most airlines for a trip down under, (Lhr-Mel flying economy) having flown Emirates Boeings and A380, Qantas A380 in a variety of different seats inc` exit rows and plumped for Qatar on the basis of a Skytrax 5 star award 2 years running along with some of the best/biggest seat pitch and seat widths in the industry.
    However, what we`ve not been too impressed with has been 3 aircraft changes, (A340-600 then A330-300 and now a couple of days before we actually fly, Boeing 777-300er, with their attendant changes in the very seat pitch/width differences we tried to get the best of, and now with the 777 we have the ubiquitous IFE box under the window seats impeding legroom which wasnt a problem on the original A340) and with the A330 being the stingiest.
    We dont tend to sleep much, even on what is a 25 hr total flight time, relying on the aircraft/airlines IFE being up to scratch, we`ve not been dissapointed with either Emirates or Qantas IFE and if the viewpoints of a couple of elderly Brits is welcome we`ll update this post with as detailed a comment on the experience as we can.

malikguy and boondr like this.
  6. BIGBOY699

BIGBOY699 Active Member

Status Points:
  7. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has shown that the charts don't always accurately portray what is available, and that you are best served by searching on each individual site.

I can also suggest that you log in to your account at each airline BEFORE you start your search, then select "Redeem Miles" [AA] or "Book Award Travel" [DL]. On Delta, also check the "I am Traveling" box.

By selecting these in advance, you'll be sure to see exactly what is available. Also, on Delta, be sure to try both "By Price" and "By Schedule". Often times selecting one over the other will reveal additional options.