2 Bedroom on Reward Points?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by vickers, Dec 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking to redeem my IHG points for a 2 bedroom unit in either a Staybridge Suites or Candlewood Suites. However, I have been unable to find a 2 bedroom when I search under reward points. When I switch the search to a paid night, the 2 bedroom option returns. This is happening everywhere, but Im really interested in redeeming in Chatanooga. Are 2 bedroom units not available for reward redemption, or am I missing something? Thank you.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best to call hotel, and ask. Normally will not let you use points for anything but standard room. Some props will let you pay to upgrade, others will let you pay for extra nights on points, like book 2 rooms to get the second bedroom...

vickers and Kalboz like this.
  3. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    IHG rewards are only available for standard rooms. I would not think that standard rooms are 2 bedrooms. You can either book 2 rooms (1 at a time) or ask the hotel what the upsell amount would cost. Many hotels will allow you to pay the price differential between the standard room and the room that you want.

Your third option, is to hope for an upgrade when you arrive, but benefits (upgrade, etc) are not applicable to awards nights.

vickers and Kalboz like this.
  4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not entirely true. I always got upgrades on award nights (maybe I was just lucky? ;))

5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is YMMV as the T&C specifically state that the upgrade benefit is not applicable to award nights

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/customer_care/member-tc

"Hotel Room Upgrades for Platinum Members: Platinum level members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefit will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation."

A good hotel will upgrade you, but it is definitely hotel specific.

vickers, Kalboz and foxberg like this.
  6. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I've been picking the right ones so far :D

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone for the information. I prefer to do everything online, but Ill give them a call and see what they can do for me.

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have enough points, why not get two rooms?

vickers likes this.
  9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    An option, but not ideal. My wife and I and 2 young kids are meeting my brother in law, his wife, and year old son in a central location (they live in Chicago). This is the first time we are getting together since my youngest daughter and their son was born, and we wanted to see them, let the kids meet, play together, etc. With them being so young, we prefer to all stay together and have one large play room. :)

Flyer1976 and Kalboz like this.