2 Bedroom on Reward Points/Certificates

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by vickers, Dec 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking to redeem my Marriott points for a 2 bedroom unit in either a Townplace Suites or Residence Inn. However, I have been unable to find a 2 bedroom when I search under reward points. When I switch the search to a paid night, the 2 bedroom option returns. This is happening everywhere, but Im really interested in redeeming in Chatanooga. Are 2 bedroom units not available for reward redemption, or am I missing something? Thank you.

2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    typically only the standard room is available for redemption.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

vickers likes this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may be able to book it if you call. As Singapore Flyer correctly pointed out, only standard rooms are available for redemption but the hotel has flexibility. It can allow you to upgrade for more points, just as when you pay cash you can upgrade with points if available. Some hotels may not want to do this far ahead of time, but it certainly couldn't hurt to call. Another possibility might be to get 2 connecting rooms. Not as nice but perhaps serves the same purpose?

Singapore Flyer and vickers like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendations. I called the TownPlace Suites in Lousiville, KY (another location I was needing a 2 bedroom unit for) and was told they do not offer 2 bedrooms for point redemption. Disappointing news, but it does appear this is a standard policy.

Thank you @bigx0 for letting me know not all hope is lost and that the location does have flexibility. Ill check back with them later.

5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just sent the hotel an email. Ill let you know the outcome.

My family and I were interested in staying in your hotel for 2 nights in January or February. However, we would need a 2 bedroom unit. I would like to pay with points, but I understand that this is not a standard practice.

However, I wanted to see if I had any options. As your location is 7,500 points per night, we would be looking at 15,000 points for a suite or 1 bedroom for 2 nights.

If you are able to accommodate, I would be willing to use additional points above the 15,000, or pay a cash price difference between the rooms in addition to the redemption of 15,000 points to secure a 2 bedroom unit.

Please let me know if any of these options would work out. Thank you in advance for your consideration. Thank you.

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the followup. Good luck. Will be interested to hear how they answer.

vickers likes this.
  7. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suggest downplaying the points aspect a bit, as you're reminding them that they are going against policy each time you reiterate the exception. I've had luck phrasing such situations more generally, such as,

"I've read great things about your property and I'm trying to decide between it and XYZ option (name a competing peer hotel nearby). Considering my elite status (insert level if you have Marriott status) and my need for extra room, would you be willing to confirm a a free upgrade to a 2-bedroom in advance if I book a standard room using points now?"

It doesn't always work, but I think would have a better shot than drilling down the number of points, willingness to pay some cash, etc., all of which put them into a corner of making a pricing exception rather than seeing as more of a casual upgrade.

vickers likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a rather different take on it. Properties don't get very much compensation for reward rooms. So, if there is an empty 2BR and someone offered cash to upgrade to it, wouldn't the manager be a lot more likely to do so than to give it away for free? The hotel is already getting next to nothing for the 1BR -- at least some cash makes them hosting the "freeloader staying on points" somewhat more profitable. The pricing exception is giving it away, not getting revenue for it.

Now, if this is a hotel you frequent and you are known there, then, of course, loyalty plays a big part. But I'd say from a loyalty point of view the manager won't feel too "loyal" to a guest staying on points that they will likely never see again.

vickers likes this.
  9. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Superb point, though it would matter whether the manager is viewing it in terms of profit (he should be!) and the precise differential between the profit (not revenue) from a rented room versus award room. Assuming he's measuring and your assumption is correct, then you have a point. I typically employ the strategy I described above during paid (not award) stays, making it irrelevant in those cases, but is relevant to vickers'.

vickers likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I believe the OP has zero chance of this working in the manner oulined above.
    I presume before arriving at the property he would want some written confimation of his requested room type.
    However the manager of the property would be crazy to provide any such document which is in turn is clear evidence (or can be used as such) that he in contravening the rules of the Marriott program. For what a hundred dollars more revenue?

Requests like these are best ( and IMHO the only way) handled at the local level when the guest arrives at the property.

Not specific to Marriott but I have twice been successful in getting a Hlton local front desk manager in splitting an award (which is not allowed) but I had no idea
    what he did to achieve my request and I certainly didnt ask for proof of confirmation.

vickers likes this.