$2.50 plus $700 on AA?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by PAinNY, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgive me if this has been discussed before as I haven't been around in a long while.

I was looking at a One Way Reward Business Class seat from NRT to MIA and found plenty of availablity but was surprised to see a $700 surcharge on AA. This is not a BA flight but an AA flight. Is this a recent change? I double checked the flight details and all the connections are on AA Metal.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Pat

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you were looking at the figure describing the possible range of fees and taxes. When you select the route and go to the next page, you'll get the actual quote. I tried your route and got the following quote: 50,000 miles plus $52 in fees.

wrxmom and RichardInSF like this.
  3. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    The screen before where you select the flights does say $2.50 - $700. However, if you actually select a flight and then go to the confirmation screen, you will see taxes is about $45.

See screenshot for a sample NRT - MIA booking for 8/7/2012 aa_booking_sample.jpg

PAinNY and wrxmom like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Range of fees" is stupid. AA should know what the actual fees are and say so. But I guess most airline award search engines have their own problems. For example, just because ANA is the authority on *A partner availability does not by a long shot mean it is in anyway user friendly.

PAinNY likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Stupid" may be your word for it but the fact remains which you apparently seem to be (or choose to be) unaware that this shows up before you select a specfic one of a number of flights.. logic suggests that at least one of the flight options do carry the fee corresponding to upper range...no??

Strange as it may seem it could very well alert the person seaching to try other selections to see if the other flight options carry lower fees.:)

PAinNY likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The range is so large as to provide no real information. A person would be likely to check anyway.

PAinNY likes this.
  7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA makes its award inventory visible to anyone, member or not. They probably feel they need to make some kind of disclosure on that page, that the awards are not entirely free. To check a specific route, one has to sign in first.

PAinNY, John777 and Scottrick like this.
  8. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much - can't believe I couldn't figure that out on my own but since I wasn't ready to book..I just didn't look further.
    Appreciate the help
    Pat

mrredskin and jwsky like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not to mention a specific route doesn't clarify the fees at all. JFK-LHR could be fairly low in cost or pretty high depending on whether one picked AA or BA.

PAinNY likes this.