2-4-1: Miles from companion's account?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Fly Curious, Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Fly Curious

Fly Curious Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I may have missed this in reviewing the T&Cs - can the miles for a trip using the 2-4-1 come from the companions account, or do they need to come from the account to which the voucher is associated?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Joe. I'm not sure ... But if were the case that the miles needed to come from you, you could link your accounts into a single "household" account with BA and co-mingle miles from the accounts (assuming you have the same addresses of record), even from people who aren't flying ... Which would allow you to use the certificate with miles from multiple peoples' accounts.

Fly Curious likes this.
  3. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have a household account then the miles should come from both accounts on a pro-rata basis.

Fly Curious likes this.
  4. Fly Curious

Status Points:
    Great tip - the 'companion' in question is my wife, so that sounds like the plan. I'll look into getting us set up as a household account.

5. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this the Chase companion voucher or the Amex companion voucher?

6. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Fly Curious. I believe you can use BA EC/Avios "household account" miles with a 2-4-1 voucher for anyone in the "household" regardless of which "household member" earned them (however, BA "status" is still linked to each flyer's individual activity with the Airline. Hope this helps!

7. The Terms & Conditions of the Chase BA 2-4-1 voucher cleartly require the itinerary to include the household member who earned the voucher, not just any member of the household:
    "The voucher will be issued in the name of the main BA/Chase Credit card account holder, who must travel on any voucher."

(The companion on the trip does not need to be a household account member, however.)

8. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tailfin, a question for my clarification (and I apologize if I'm being overly dense) - while the voucher must be issued in the name of the credit card account holder who hit 30,000 miles (and who therefore must be one of the travelers on this trip), can't the miles spent to acquire the Mileage Ticket that will be coupled with the voucher come from anyone in the Household?

9. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whenever anyone in the household account makes a redemption (including redemptions using 241 vouchers) miles are debited from ALL accounts in the household in a prorated fashion relative to the size of the pot.

If A has 10,000 miles and B has 40,000 and C has 200,000, a redemption made by any of them for 25,000 would debit A-1,000, B-4,000 C-20,000 etc.

10. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    David, I must be misunderstanding the intent of your example above - please help me. Are you saying that if one member of a Household Account redeems 25,000 miles for one ticket (for their own, individual usage), then miles are deducted from all of the Household Account Members for that ticket (on a pro rata basis)?

11. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Doesn't matter who in the household makes the redemption, that is how it works.

And it doesn't matter who does the redemption or who it is for. [although of course in a household account redemptions can only be for members of the household, with the exception of 241 vouchers where the guest doesn't have to be a household member.]

A: 0
    B: 10,000
    C: 90,000

Any of them make a redemption of 10k for anyone (themselves or other HHA member, or multiple HHA members) or a 241 featuring a guest who is or isn't part of the household, it will result in:

A: 0
    B: 10,000 - 1,000 = 9,000
    C: 90,000 - 9.000 = 81,000

Etc etc

12. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't really matter in practice IF you will be staying as one household and you trust all members.

But if you were planning any changing evolving household account bringing different people in and old, keep in mind that is how it works when any redemptions are actually made.

[all members of a HHA retain individual pots throughout, the household balance is just an expression of the sum total of the pots making up the household. When a redemption is made it depletes the pots in a pro rated fashion relative to their current % contribution to the overall household balance.]

13. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fascinating! Thank you for the education David!

14. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if response was OTT in length, but it you are going to explain for 1 online, you might as well explain for all.

15. Fly Curious

Status Points:
    This is the Chase voucher.

16. Fly Curious

Status Points:
    David, thanks for the additional detail. To close the loop, I set up a household account for my wife and me, and we've started dreaming up ways to use the voucher. (Maldives, perhaps? :))

17. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just one catch that I haven't seen mentioned in the excellent recap provided by David, above: All travel on the BA Chase 2-4-1s must originate in the US. So while the Maldives (or anywhere BA serves) is possible, it is possible only if you are willing to use the miles from US to UK to Maldives.