2/29/12 Only: Amex Business Gold 75,000 MR Points

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by mommypoints, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just so that no one here misses it, there is apparently a today-only Amex deal where you can get in on the Amex Business Gold card with a 75,000 Membership Rewards sign-up bonus after spending 10K on the card within the first four months. They ran a similar one-day deal in early November.

This is not one of my links, take screen shots, etc.... but it is a great deal if you are in the market for a business card and can meet the spending requirement.

http://www262.americanexpress.com/landing-page/business-cards/sclp/bgold/pm0009/43211

mrredskin and airshadow like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any creative suggestions on how to meet that spend?

3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use Amazon payments for each of the 4 months @ $1000 p/m. You will only have $6000 left to spend or $1500 p/m.

4. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    still a lot of spend after AP. you pretty much have to use this everywhere and for everything if you're a common-man. similar to the SPG 30k after $15k/6 from a few years back, except quite a few more points!

5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Applied for my wife. Got this:

Thank You! Your Card application has been received and is being processed.
    Approved

It's a little strange, but I guess she's OK.

Besides the good offer, I applied because her annual fee will soon be due for her personal gold card ($175) so this way I can cancel that one and keep the Membership Rewards points in the account. Otherwise, I'd lose them, or have to transfer them now.

Mikus33 likes this.
  6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really torn about whether I should go for this for myself. If I get it, that would have to be $20K within four months. $8K to $10K I can handle on Amazon Payments, but the rest gets a little tough, potentially.

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And . . . it's really over. I finally decided to double-down. I'll have to get creative to hit $20K.

Here's the current page:

8. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got it too. Schnitzel's bolder than me, though. 10K was enough for me!

One thing I'd like to say, I've seen commenters criticizing the various travel bloggers (OP, Gleff, Lucky, MMS, PointsGuy, etc.) for promoting credit card referrals so heavily. It's my understanding that they didn't get any referral bonus for this offer, yet every one of them heavily promoted it. To me, that says alot about where there motivations are. The fact of the matter is that for infrequent flyers like myself, CC bonuses are a great way to earn miles/points. I'm grateful to the folks who point out good offers, even when they earn a commission off of them! So thanks, Mommypoints!

Andyandy

Mikus33, mommypoints, Liucoke and 2 others like this.
  9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's pretty clear that many, many bloggers see readers as their ultimate customers, MommyPoints included, and do right by them. I've got to say, though, without the recently increased scrutiny and raised awareness of this issue, I'm not so sure all would have promoted this offer as heavily as they did.

Liucoke and autolycus like this.
  10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an FYI - if you have a business like mine, you might actually want to keep and use this card. That's what I plan to do (well, at least mine; my wife's will likely get canceled before the fee comes due in 11 months).

The key for me is the 2x points on shipping and advertising. So assuming that covers UPS, USPS, and Google Adwords, that's a lot of points for me/my business. Easily worth the annual fee.

And with 3x airfare . . . I don't spend nearly as much there, but anytime I have any, that's where it'll go.

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any question that Google AdWords qualifies as "advertising" as far as a charge category?

12. RonF
    Original Member

RonF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got mine in the mail via UPS today. When I activated the customer service rep was very inquisitive about my business. It made me nervous with some of the questions so I asked her what exactly she was doing with the information so that I may be able to help her build whatever database she was building. She gave me a nice answer about "just trying to help the customer" but I suspected there was a little more behind the questions. I have a legitimate side business so I wasn't too worried. She also asked why I chose this card and when I told her about the 75k promo she replied, "that explains why so many activations today."

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received and activated the card. It was all automated. I haven't spoken to a person during the application or activation process (I'm not bothered if I do as I have 100% Schedule C sole proprietorship income).

14. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the same inquisitive questions. We too have a legitimate business, but I am always wary answering questions like they were asking. I just suddenly had a "very important appointment" that I had to run off to and requested they just activate. The rep was very nice and activated the card with no issues :)

15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - my wife was getting a little exasperated when she activated hers (legitimate business) so I was prepared for mine (legitimate business).

But, legit or not, it's still a little annoying. Next time, I'll do it all online.

16. efoss3
    Original Member

efoss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got this card but am nervous about being able to achieve the 10,000 spend. If I don't make it will I still be able to get the 25,000 mile offer for spending 4000 dollars in three months?

17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure, but, frankly, I doubt it. Usually, you just have one offer tagged to your account.

Sometimes you see bonuses structured as "spend $X get Y points, and then spend another . . . " but since this isn't that way, I'd be surprised if it'll happen automatically.

If you really have no chance, you should call and see if they can downgrade your promo.

18. efoss3
    Original Member

efoss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for your help. I will give them a call tomorrow! I don't want to waste any miles if I can help it.

19. peege

peege Active Member

Status Points:
    There are creative ways to meet the spend coming up. You could possibly pay all your property taxes for the year, extra payment on your cell phone bill, insurance, etc. Good luck.

autolycus likes this.
  20. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And there's always the option to buy gift cards. Even if you're not going to jump through the hoops that someone like FrequentMiler does to resell the cards, you could buy cards for places that you do use regularly as a way to stretch that spending window out a good ways. I, for instance, shop at Amazon a lot, so it wouldn't be crazy for me to buy several hundred dollars in Amazon gift cards. Grocery store cards are a great option because most of us shop almost entirely at one particular chain and can spend a fair bit of money over a year at that store. Buy a few hundred in gift cards for your preferred grocery store, and you're much closer to the spend requirement. Gas cards are another good option.

schnitzel likes this.
  21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree here, but the problem is, then you're really just kicking the can down the road a bit. For your next credit card signup bonus (there will always be another) then you've dug into your current spending.

I try really, really hard to stay current with the spend requirements (although I've done the Amazon one a bit myself).

autolycus likes this.
  22. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree completely, but sometimes a particular bonus might be worth kicking the can and delaying your next round of apps a little. 75k MR points seems like a pretty good example of that. If Amex runs the same promotion as last year, that could become 112,500 Skymiles and Silver Medallion status for the year. Round trip business class to Europe or darn near a round trip to Africa or Australia in business--would actually be enough after you factor in the points from the $10k in spending on the card.

schnitzel likes this.
  23. efoss3
    Original Member

efoss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help everyone. I did talk to customer service and will not be able to change the offer from 75,000 down to 25,000. I'm still mulling over how to kick the can and if I will be able to accomplish the spend. I live in Alabama and property taxes are too low to help much. Insurance would help quite a bit though, but am not sure in my company takes Am Ex.

24. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So consider gift cards to Amazon, your gas station, your grocery store, etc.

Prepay your cell phone bill a bit.

Prepay your utilities.

Do an estimated payment to the IRS (this costs money) and get the money back later.

Use Amazon payment and Venmo.

And, worst case, consider Square. A $10K payment would cost $275, I think, and would net you 85K membership rewards points. I haven't used Square, so I don't know if they'll just let that go through, but it's worth a shot.

25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife got her 75K already. Pretty fast action.

I haven't hit the $10K spend yet.