2,000 Bonus Miles for AA Dining Program

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Punki, Jun 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We don't really fly revenue much these days and I want to keep my existing AA miles alive so I singed up for this special offer. Last night we went to a registered restaurant and I used the credit card that I submitted to AA.

Now, I am supposed to make some kind of report on the restaurant to get the 2,000 bonus miles. How does this work? Where do I make the report?

Generally speaking, this sounds like a great way to sustain this account until I get around to using my miles.

Mapsmith and Counsellor like this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you should receive an email a few days after your trip. There will be a survey (link or embedded) in the email. Once you complete, your points should post, but im not sure of the timeframe. I did this with my Delta dining and the points posted in 3 weeks I believe.

Mapsmith and Counsellor like this.
  3. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. That's good to know.

My miles don't expire until November and this will keep them alive for a while longer. After that it will be easy to just add a few more miles here and there with my credit card whenever we are getting close to expiration.

Mapsmith and vickers like this.
  4. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    This got me thinking and I realized my bonus had not posted. I looked at my account and according the the records, my account was created on May 18th(I believe I created it the 16th or 17th, but maybe it took a day to complete the account registration), but my first dine of over $30 was posted 17May?! Not sure how I could earn miles before my account was even created. I'm assuming the computer system saw that my dine was before the signup bonus registration and has therefore not credited my bonus to me. I still have a few days to get a qualifying dine within the 30 day window, but the previous one should have counted. It does state in the fine print that the bonus will take 6-8 weeks to post though. Sounds like a good excuse to go out to eat tonight!

Mapsmith and vickers like this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Did you happen to recently receive an AA credit card? When I received the BarclayCard US Airways Mastercard I received notification I was automatically enrolled in the program. I just had to create the online profile part. But maybe thats what happened?

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did get a CITI AAdvantage card about 3 months ago, but it did not automatically register me for the dining program. I got a few emails referencing a signup bonus in the past couple months probably due to having the card though. Even now being enrolled in it for a month, I just got another email about the same signup bonus!

Mapsmith likes this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

Probably the restaurant delayed "posting" for the dine. In my business, we close the Credit Card sales about a half hour before we close. Any sale after that will be 'posted' the following day but the date of the sale remains the same. i.e. close the credit card sale at 5PM on June 13, any sales between 5 and 6 will post on June 14, but the individual sale will still say June 13. That is probably what you are seeing.

8. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had that type of issue with United's Dining program earlier this year. It looks like they use the same program, just different airlines use the same company. I had a dine on a Friday night and my credit card statement said transaction date and post date were Sat. Sat and Sun did not offer miles, but since I didn't save the receipt to prove I actually dined on a Friday and not Sat, I was screwed.

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the Credit Card processing should have had the Friday date. Even though the company "posted" the credit Cards early, any sale afterwards should still have the correct date. Ask the restaurant for a copy of the Credit Card Receipt. Here the law says we have to keep them for a couple of years. I have been asked for copies that are months old and will have to go and dig through our copies and find one and make a copy. But the Restaurant should have the correct CC Slip showing the correct date. You will need to let them know three things:
    1. Date that you ate there.
    2. Approximate time. (Lunch, Dinner, Evening, After Show) sometime to make it easy to find the slip amongst the hundreds that they will have to look for.
    3. Approximate amount of the charge.

I also know that iDine or whatever name they use, has a tendency to delay processing the payment to the Restaurant. So the problem may be there.

But your best bet is to get a copy of the original CC slip from the Restaurant and then fight United Dining with proof.

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far I know there is no credit card which enrolls you automatically in any program.... if the Barclays card does that's very the first time I have heard about that in the 12+ years I have participating in the various I-dine/rewardsnet dining programs and if they did how would they know which airline you would want the card to be assigned to since one can use any card (airline affiliated or not) in any program.

The start date of ones participation in any of the programs is not the date the "account is created" I can safely say that (a least 6 times) I have dined at restaurants came home that night then added the card I used earlier to the desired program and gotten the expected miles.

There seems to be a misconception on these boards as to how the program works. The restaurants are provided funding by rewardsnet and they in turn submit all their CC receipts to rewardsnet who identifies that a specific card is registered in a specific program.
    Now its quite possible that the submitted date is not a valid reward date either by error or by design.
    But I suggest that if one doesn't have a receipt issued with the date you actually visited the eatery its going be very hard to prove that you dined on a specific date other than the one listed by the restaurant submitted date.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    My dining miles showed up. Yeah!

Gargoyle likes this.