1st time flying AC...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by catgirl, Mar 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone. I am a UA gal and mostly fly UA with the odd US, CO and LH flight thrown in and typically on flights 3 hours or less. I stick with UA because of the E+ seats, especially on the longer flights.

So....I will be flying from YYZ to FRA on AC in a few weeks. How is AC economy on long haul flights? I will be *G when I fly, but I don't think that matters, correct?

Any and all insights are appreciated. [​IMG]

Exit Row and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown YYZ->FRA in economy many times on AC and I find it very comfortable - and I am not a small chap :) I find the seat width very comfortable and pitch, while I would like more, is OK and I am 5'10". I tend not to have anything under the seat in front of me - so that helps.

If possible try to get on the 777 metal as I find it is more comfortable; however it sounds like maybe you are already booked so that may be moot.

I find the service good in economy ... you will get a dinner and a breakfast before landing in FRA (assuming you are on one of the evening flights), and of course your beverages are free during the international flight. You may need to request if you want more beverages ;) as I have found they make their beverage run and then sometimes are not visible.

I do not think that *G will help you during the flight but you will be able to board at the outset - but be warned in YYZ it seems boarding is lemming time and everyone can tend to push towards the gate ... so assert yourself and I try to hover near the gate entry when I know they are going to board to get on when it is my turn and get my stuff stowed overtop.

You will have individual entertainment units for each seat - yours will be in the headrest in the seat in front of you. You will have varied selection of music, television shows, recent and classic movies, documentaries etc. The system can be a tag sluggish when choosing, so press and be patient is the key. Also depending on which seat you have you may have a power outlet in the seat in front of you in the headrest. You will definitely have a usb plug which I often use to keep my iPhone charged and charging while I am watching movies.

I hope this helps a bit? If I did not cover something you had in mind please let me know - I tend to fly that route alot - normally taking AC 872 from YYZ so am familiar with it to a degree.

Welcome to MP, welcome to our forum, and as I mentioned elsewhere... nice hat! ;)

3. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course it matters. Use the lounge!! [​IMG]

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  4. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you soooo much! This is awesome info. I am actually on AC 772, so it is the night flight from YYZ. This is much more than what UA offers on long haul flights, so it sounds like I will be set. [​IMG]

I don't think I will have a card yet to access the lounges. I have to make a series of day trips this month which will put me to *G before my flight. I do have a lot of time to kill at YYZ both ways. I guess that's what the Nook is for. [​IMG]

ACMM likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    DOH! Of course! How silly of me focusing only on the flight! Yes as *G you get access to the International MLL at the end of the pier; at the end of all the moving sidewalks, and to the right of the escalators before you go down to the gates.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are at *G before your flight and your status shows on the UA website it cannot hurt to print that off and have your UA number available. They should be able to use that at the MLL entry to check and let you know ... I will keep my paws crossed for you!

7. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA is very quick to update status, so I will for sure do that! I hope my boarding passes also reflect this.

So much great info, I truly appreciate it. [​IMG]

flying-gal and ACMM like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope you have a purrrrrrrfect flight! Let us know how it all goes!

catgirl likes this.
  9. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to our corner of the site, Catgirl.... drop in more often... we are a very friendly group here.

Chimpy and catgirl like this.
  10. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will for sure! I am starting to branch out to the other *A airlines, lol.

2MM_Guy, flying-gal and ACMM like this.
  11. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I feel very welcome here. [​IMG]

flying-gal and ACMM like this.
  12. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw you purrrrrring over her bonnet... [​IMG]

Chimpy, catgirl and ACMM like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops -- busted!!! [​IMG]

catgirl likes this.
  14. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    you mean the bassinet? [​IMG]

15. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the 'hood.

ACMM likes this.
  16. part of the fun is trying other airlines.

17. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Moving sidewalks,YYZ international departures and arrivals?[​IMG][​IMG]

18. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    the moving sidewalk was down this Tuesday!

19. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife recently flew from YYZ to SCL (Santiago) on an AC 777. She paid extra $50 for the exit row window seat with lots of room in front (believe it was 31a). It was great because she could get out to stretch or potty without having to wake anyone. She said the food was the best she ever had flying economy.

20. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wanted to report back on my flights. They were awesome! I loved the IFE, the food was very good, probably the best airline food I have ever had in Y, and loved the free wine. :) I will for sure fly AC more.

The only downside was connecting at YYZ to the US, but that is not AC's fault. :)

Exit Row, canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback ! Glad that your first AC flight went well! :)

22. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious about the problem you had with this. Normally this is a smooth, fast track experience bypassing Canadian immigration/customs, collecting your bags from a dedicated belt before proceeding to US pre-clearance set aside from the YYZ-originating passengers. Of course, if your flight is delayed and you get into YYZ after 8p you may find yourself stranded over night as pre-clearance does close early. I've experienced this twice and been put up at hotels both times by AC before catching my onward flights to EWR.

23. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was the line to get through US immigration. It took forever and there were only a few agents working. So, not AC's fault. Just a lot of people traveling to the US, long lines and not a lot of agents. :)

24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Republican-forced cutbacks!