1st time fliers (kids)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Philphactor, May 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife & I are taking nieces & nephews (ages 11-12-15-17) on their first-ever flight (SEA-ORD). Does AA still do anything special for first time fliers (i.e. wings, certificate, etc.)? I'm assuming after everyone else has deplaned at ORD they can take a peek at the flight deck and say "hi" to the crew. I have so many grey hairs now, I can't even remember what my first flight experience was like.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't travel with kids at all, so I didn't answer right away. I emailed an AA FA friend of mine and this is what she had to say on the topic:
    • AA has something called the Jr. Log Book that is kept in the service kit. Kids can fill it out themselves or have the pilots fill it out if time and personality permits.
    • If the pilots are done with checks, they usually will allow kids to visit and tour the cockpit. She said most pilots she has worked with prefer the visit prior to departure, but it can vary.
    • The service kits also have the stick-on wings for kids, but she said they're often out of stock since it's not something that's checked on often.
    • A lot of this depends on the personalities of the FAs and pilots. You might be turned away on all fronts if the crew isn't super friendly. She said it might help to politely talk with the gate agent prior to boarding to see if anything can be set up for the kids.
    Hope this helps, and I'm hoping your crews are open to making the first flight for two kids a memorable one!

bucketlist likes this.
  3. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David!

DestinationDavid likes this.