1st Mattress Run Help

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by chaptwo, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chaptwo
    Original Member

chaptwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying to LAX tomorrow and looking for help.

In the area from 4/4 to 4/9. Am Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold. Wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to which program might be best to try to accumulate the best value in the vicinity.

Any help is welcome.

2. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi chaptwo - try this milepoint (MP) thread, where various hotel awards programs are discussed -- it may be of some help to you:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/best-hotel-loyalty-program-for-those-starting-at-zero.2606/

In general, Hyatt is good program but has fewer properties than other similar chains. Starwood has many pluses -- try searching "Starwood" or "SPG" in the search box, upper right corner of this page, for other MP comments and information. In terms of best values in the LAX area, Starwood's Four Points LAX often has $69 rates, although you probably can't get them on short notice. Four Points' rates are usually lower than the nearby Sheraton LAX or Westin LAX.

If you can share some more specifics, others can probably chime in with targeted advice and comment as well.

Best wishes! and welcome to milepoint.

3. jammanxc
    Original Member

jammanxc Silver Member

Status Points:
    4P LAX is the best in terms of lowest spg property price within LA

sobore likes this.
  4. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to travelingmore's suggestions, you may want to look at each programs current promotions & see which would be most 'beneficial' to you! Then do a search & make sure you add 'AAA' (or other promo/SET codes, if applicable) to see what properties offer the best deals for your needs!

Wurm likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with jammanxc, sometimes you can score some pretty decent rates at a Four Points.

akcae likes this.
  6. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd add one thing to these excellent suggestions: when looking at the different programs and promotions, be sure to take into account what your typical stay pattern is. For example, some program and/or promos may be better for those who have lots of short-duration stays, while others might be more advantageous for those who make fewer, but longer stays (multi-day stays).

7. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty new at this also (am making a stab at Starwood Platinum this year and just hit Gold for the year last week). I am sure this has been said elsewhere, but at least for SPG I have been told that the easiest way to do it is on stays. I recently was in Chicago for three nights and stayed at a different Starwood properties each night. If your plans are flexible enough, you could potentially do the same in LA. Last September I stayed at the Four Points LA Westside (in Culver City) and it was fine.

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit OT

dc-traveler: the Sheraton Dulles is a cheap mattress run in the DC area if you are short on stays later in the year - or if there is a free night promo/etc. You can also mattress run to any of the other big chains while out near Dulles and can even hop from SPG to SPG for decent rates [Aloft Dulles and 4 Points Manassas being the cheapest]. Also, the Sheraton Dulles has a VA resident rate under the hotel offers tab.

Cheers

dc_traveler and NewCokeandTaco like this.
  9. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    thegrailer ---

Many thanks for the tip! I could see taking advantage of this whenever I fly out of IAD instead of DCA. I am not a morning person to begin with, so this might be a great way to get SPG credit while avoiding an early morning (for me, anyway) leaving from downtown. Thanks again!!

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess my answer would be... it depends on your goals. You have mid tier in Hyatt and SPG. Are you aiming to reach top tier in either program, or do you just want to accumulate more points?

11. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd add that it's helpful to know which program benefits the OP, more, -- in terms of where they want to redeem pts, & what bennies that come w/top tier (ie. 4 suite upgrades w/Hyatt diamond) would be best utilized by the OP!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. chaptwo
    Original Member

chaptwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied, chimed in and gave great advice. What I did was kick back. I'm getting organized, got status matched with various programs and will use those benefits during my forthcoming Star RTW trip starting Monday to find where I should be staying...just want to say it's great to actually ask for help and not get flamed for a change.