1st class and lounge acesses

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by iamben, Aug 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. iamben

iamben Member

Status Points:
    I am flying united 1st class from Chicago (ord) to Detroit (Dtw). According to united's website only international 1st class have accesses to united lounges. I called united to see if I could get in and they said the lounge agent would have finial call if I can get in or not. Has anyone else had experience in this matter? If so did you get in or not? What does everyone think?

2. UA/Travel_!_Junky

UA/Travel_!_Junky Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking no. But you never know until you try. They get a lot of people each day trying to get into clubs for free so I doubt it.

satman40 likes this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha, from Chicago/ORD which is a major hub for UA ? You can give it a try, but I doubt it.

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always give it a try but it's not going to happen. Also not worth the hassle at all.

5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are not entitled to access, and you probably would not be admitted if you ask. Console yourself with the thought that you are not missing much - the food is no more than some pre-packaged Tillamook cheese and Pepperidge Farm crackers. Instead, go to Tortas Frontera and buy yourself a good sandwich. It also sounds like you're on a non-stop flight (originating in ORD, not connecting there). I rarely find that I want to visit a lounge when originating - I usually don't get to the airport early enough to allow much time for a lounge visit.

satman40, WilliamQ, Garp74 and 2 others like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not worth wasting your energy or that of the agent by asking. You're not going to get in and you're not missing much.

I'll never understand the "just try it" approach when something is so clearly not permitted that the odds of success are essentially nil. When it is a gray area or the rules are unclear, perhaps, but that's not the case here.

Would you walk up to a bank teller and ask them for $20 just to see if they feel like giving it to you today? Because that's about the same thing as this. Just not gonna happen.

MX and Newscience like this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe if you blog about it you can get a few hundred people to try it... Better yet suggest it at a FTU and see what happens... :)

8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean and traveltoomuch are right (along with most everyone on this post). Unless you can convince the lounge personnel that Detroit is no longer in the United States (good luck with that!), you simply aren't getting in the United lounge.

If you really have to have lounge access (as was stated "you aren't missing much"), than either purchase a one-time day pass, purchase United Club membership, sign up for the Chase Bank MileagePlus Club credit card (that comes with United club membership). I'd also suggest buying a Priority Pass membership as an option, but I just quickly checked and there's no lounge listed on the Priority Pass website for Detroit.

FWIW, I see folks trying to talk their way into airport lounges (domestic and international) all the time. It's likely very annoying to the folks who work there, and lounge access simply isn't an "entitlement" for all travelers.

satman40, WilliamQ, 8MiHi and 5 others like this.
  9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll ask the question nobody else has thus far....did you pay for first class on this trip? It is only an hr flight and I'm only seeing rj's, not really worth paying to ride up front in a 60 min trip.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

satman40 likes this.
  10. iamben

iamben Member

Status Points:
    No I was upgraded

Photonerd71 likes this.
  11. iamben

iamben Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone for your response

satman40 likes this.
  12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:

Ok, that's good. Free upgrades are nice even if it just taxiing around the airport :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

satman40, Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    not from the multiple times I have overheard that question while in line to get into the club over the years

14. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flash your Millage Plus Club Card you should have no trouble., I have left many time to find some decent food,

The quiet space and the drink us great, but the food, is a pass most of the time.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

What Club Card??

The OP wants to get in just based on their ticket class of service, not by having a paid membership.

16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will not let me in the Flagship at ORD, on a local run.... and when I tried they sent me down to the Admirals Club,

I understand how he must feel.

FC is just not what it use to be.....