1K worth it while based in MUC?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by FlyingBear, Dec 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering doing a last minute mileage run to get myself to 1K, but since I will be based in MUC starting next year, with only 2-3 trips on UA back to states, and then LH in EU, not sure if it's truly worth the day trip and money. Thoughts?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many miles next year? Would tge SWUs give you value(on your return trips maybe?)? I'd expect those plus the mileage bonus would probably be the main benefits in your situation.

traveltoomuch and 8MiHi like this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    No clue on miles, going to be a start for new position, lots of travel within EU, but I can't see it being as many miles as 6 US-EU trips/year I've been doing to (almost) get to 1K.
    - GPUs, bonus miles are the main things as you noted. RPUs will probably be somewhat wasted and any status above Gold does not appear to translate to anything useful with LH or anyone else part of *A.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The gpus will be worth it several times over if you can get good use of them. In my mind it mostly comes down to that.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    MUC-IAH, MUC-SFO or MUC-LAX on the way to PHX. Not particularly thrilling options. I think I am on the way of talking myself out of the mileage run :)

8MiHi likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better up front than in the back.

FlyingBear likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long and how much is the MR?

FlyingBear likes this.
  8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    PHX-DEN-YVR and back. 7 am to midnight in one day for ~500. Was briefly $400 :(

traveltoomuch and 8MiHi like this.
  9. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get 1k, use the GPUs for your TATL segments, then status match to LH? $500 for two GPUs may be worth it; it will depend on your new job's booking requirements (can you book into C for TATL, or are you stuck in the back?).

RPUs also make great gifts for the family and friends. :)

You can always fly or get to FRA where there other TATL flights.

10. cltgva

cltgva Active Member

Status Points:
    If you are going to only use upgrades, probably not worth going for the MR--just cut over to LH; however, if you think you might use your miles for "free" tickets, you should be aware that LH is going to charge you around $400 per "free" ticket in "taxes and fees," so you are better sticking with UA and getting your 1K status via your MR (IMHO) and earning those intra-Europe LH miles on UA. Good luck!
    p.s. I heard that Star Alliance partners don't status match from each other, or at least they used to say that they didn't.
    p.p.s. I think if you're close to 1K, you already have *G so that doesn't change the equation for lounge access.

FlyingBear likes this.
  11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Damn it, you guys or of no help in being lazy!

Changing to LH next year is a no-starter, I can't find any benefit to it considering the taxes/fees on redemptions.

Gifting RPUs is a good idea, non-cash value of good will is pretty good!

Highest fare I can hope for on regular basis with my company is B. Or Y, if things are funky. TATL flights same. Typical is S or T. That's actually been one of the issues with being 1K or even platinum before, can't always use my upgrades. I forgot to account for that in my initial considerations.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hard enough to score in the upgrade lottery when you can buy W. If your long haul flights on UA are most likely not even eligible for upgrades, I would not spend $500 and a day of my life for 1K over Plat.

13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I enjoy the occasional MR, I would do it. If you aren't one to gain pleasure from such an outing, it's probably not worth it.
    On the plus side it could be that the transferable upgrades and the improved probability of 'op-ups' would be worth more than your time and treasure. Further, I do not know if instant upgrades on the 1K eligible M fares apply to the flights you would be taking (the website says this applies to 'select' flights), but this is another route to the pointy end of the plane. Finally, you may think you know what your travel will be next year and being based at MUC does narrow the likely trips on UA, but one can be surprised by what opportunities come up.
    On the negative side, it's your time and treasure that may end up providing rewards that are not going to be used.
    Don't sweat the choice, its unlikely to change your life.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    FlyingBear and traveltoomuch like this.