1K UDU percentage?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beach1103, Dec 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently hit 1k (previously Premier Platinum) and was curious what percentage of times a 1K's CDU clears (based on other 1K's experience). I realize that there are MANY factors that can contribute to a CDU clearing or not...just curious to get an idea. As a Premier Platinum my CDUs cleared less than 25% of the time. So far I am 8/8 as a 1k....
    Thanks in advance!

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K I see maybe 27% CPUs (UDUs).

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeing 80 percent on average (same as last year) on about 60 eligible flights I believe.

I think therefore I Poast!

Scottrick likes this.
  4. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm 42/44 this year on qualifying flights, so 95%

beach1103 likes this.
  5. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What routes do you fly most often to get such a low % of upgrades?

6. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I can get 50% plus on CDUs...I would be happy!

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAH-DCA (heavy on government Y-ups)
    IAH-LGA (significant amount of paid F)

Add to that my flights are mostly Monday and Thursday and it's what is to be expected.

I should start keeping track of where I end up on the upgrade list.

8MiHi and beach1103 like this.
  8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    78% clear. 1K out of LAX.

9. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am going to track it for my own curiosity (and to determine if 1K status is worth it for me as the only real benefit I see is moving higher on the upgrade list). The GPUs and RPUs come in handy too..:)

8MiHi likes this.
  10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm at 45/47 so 96%. One I missed out right and the other I missed as part of an SDC (IAH-SEA).

Not looking so great for my ORD-SEA flight tomorrow either now which is kind of surprising.

-Rob
    PS - my upgrade stats are almost always up to date in my signature.

11. PaulMCO

PaulMCO Active Member

Status Points:
    Out of MCO about 80%. GPU's are another story about 40%

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 100% success on IAH-LGA and vice versa.

Admittedly, I have only flown that RT once in my life, and on the weekend. But SFO-IAH and vice versa failed to clear on the same days.

8MiHi and beach1103 like this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm almost always a paid F pax between IAH and LGA because I'm connecting from or to my intl destination which is very hard to clear. (SJO-IAH or IAH-SJO) I have a trip to DFW on Friday, and my UG for a 7:30 AM flight from SJO-IAH has still not cleared despite there being 5 seats showing as available in BC. In fairness, however, my G fare is no doubt a factor. This is the cheapest trip I have booked between SJO and DFW in years. I did, however, clear the IAH-DFW portion at the window.

14. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm at about 90%; but 100% DCA - IAH and vice versa. The missing 5 - 10% seems to be that 10% of the time I'm traveling with my family and it's tough to get three people all upgraded together.

8MiHi likes this.
  15. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've missed one GPU but cleared on over 25 this year

(A couple cleared while I was physically on the plane so it was close)

Missed one RPU between HKG and SIN
    CPU close to 100%

Fly out of CLE.....guess I've been lucky

16. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly out SNA (Orange County), where there seems to be plenty of 1K flyers, on a minimal amount of flights. Anxious to see how many times I get upgraded (fly about 120 times a year). If I can get 60 CPU....I would be happy!

8MiHi likes this.
  17. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every flight is different. The time, route, and day you fly all have a big influence on upgrade possibilities. In addition, if there's a big event/conference in town where people would be using SNA (Anaheim has a huge convention center) then that will likely impact your upgrade changes as you'll have a significantly higher volume of VFF's.

If you can avoid flights that connect to international flights (TPAC/TATL bank out of SFO, EWR, IAH) then that will help as there's more paid F on those flights.

Good luck. And just remember, if you want to sit in first you should buy a first class seat (or use those nifty M/B/Y ups).

8MiHi, Flyer1976 and genemk2 like this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I'm screwed on SJO-IAH tomorrow. 14 of 16 booked. 12 of 14 checked in. I'm now number 3 on the UG wait list. :-(

19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    While on the topic, I'm going to vent a little. I bought my way up for the return for about $250. It was about $450 to buy up RT at the time, but I wanted to test my new 1K status luck. As soon as I bought the return, the outbound buy-up jumped to about $350.

I have had discussions here, phone conversations with UA and written emails about this practice. It is continually denied to exist, but I have been a UA passenger too long to buy the BS any longer. Every single time I have bought up in one direction (post-merger), the other direction jumped up.

They say that the price just happened to change when I did it. Every time? How laughable.

They say that the fares changed, so my original offer was based on my original fare, so changing it made the system find the new fare. Yet every time I have done a test by going through the book a new flight motions, the prices are the same.

It is now indisputable to me that they want to encourage us to buy up in both directions, and this practice is designed to scare us into so doing. I feel like Pavlov's dog. Only problem is, I'm that stubborn dog who simply won't obey the commands.

At the 1K window on Sunday, there were 7 seats available in BC. There were 19 people assigned to seats open only to Premier Gold or higher. As a 1K, it would be stupid to waste an instrument or pay $$$ for an upgrade that looked so likely.

OK. Now I'll sit in my exit row window seat and relax tomorrow. I feel better now that I've vented. ...A little.

beach1103 likes this.
  20. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd say I'm at 60-70% or significantly worse than pre- merger. And it's getting harder. I've missed the last 7 upgrades. Chicago to LA and back used to be a gimmie before the FLUDU started. Now I'm at 30% tops on that route even with 757s. Last flight was last Thursday at 516pm on a 757. I was 22nd on the upgrade list at boarding as a 1k, over 50 people behind me on the list

I don't have the luxury of traveling at non peak, might have something to do with it, but its pretty obvious the route dynamics are changing dramatically.

At the end of the day, I absolutely hate FLUDU. The old United system was a lot better and it's pretty darn obvious that the new systems is pretty flawed. And I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Out of the 26 flights I've got booked the next quarter, two are on United

jparker and beach1103 like this.
  21. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: I did not clear the UG for Thursday's SJO-IAH flight. To add insult to injury, I was offered the seat at check-in for $450. I really wanted to do it, as my back was already killing me that morning, but there was no way that I was going to financially reward UA for what I consider to too often be crossing the line between prudent greed and unnecessary greed. As I have often said, FF programs are a two way street, and the new UA seems to often drive on the wrong side of the road.

22. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I recognize the route and the day of the week, that's still just awful....22nd?!

My eye-opener was, also as a 1K on a 757, SAN-ORD, first flight out in the morning the day after SHARESmageddon happened, on a V fare bought a month in advance, I was eighth on the list.

23. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm right around 60% for the year, flying mostly out of DCA but a little out of IAD/BWI. That's on upgradeable flights only. ERJs/CR2s would bring that down but that's not a CPU problem.

The other thing that doesn't account for are the handful of upgrades I've given away due to SDCing an upgraded flight and then not getting the upgrade on the new flights. I'd guess that that's common enough that I'm really hitting on around 2/3 to 70% of my originally booked flights.

Just eyeballing it now, it's amazing how much difference day of the week makes. I have very few Monday upgrades, but tons of Sundays. I'm well over 90% on Tuesdays or Wednesdays and haven't missed on a Saturday yet (very few Saturday flights though).

Thursdays seem to be worse than average but maybe a bit better than Mondays and Fridays are about the same.

So for the OP, it really depends on how much flexibility you have and what you're willing to do.

24. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing 27/43 out of ORD this year - 63%.

In CY11 it was 49/65 - 75%. CY10 was 36/42 - 86%.

25. bmr12

bmr12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Calculating domestic travel only, not supported by any instrument, I'm batting 22/33 or 66% this year. Pretty dismal in my experience, missing upgrades on several planes with 20+ domestic F seats. Travel on lowest available coach fare at the time of booking, which has varied from M (auto upgrade) to G.