1K to Gold

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Jan 29, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Jan 1, 2017 will drop from 1K to Gold. I have two GPU's left and want to book in BC departing for Europe in Dec 2016 but do not want to return until Jan 2017. Since i will be Gold on the return will this have any bearing on the booking in BC?

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your status determines your position on the upgrade list. If you can book the ticket far out and apply the GPU, it has a better chance of clearing when R is opened up (since less people will be on the list). As the return flight approaches, if your GPU hasn't cleared, you will have much less of a chance of getting the upgrade as a gold than you would as a 1K.

Counsellor, Dublin_rfk and sfo1 like this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input, I only book using GPU's if R is available when I book, I will not play the roulette game.

Counsellor and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then your status is irrelevant. If you book with R availability and the agent clears the GPU immediately, it doesnt matter if you're MileagePlus Dirt or Chairman's Circle. :)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, FWIW, your status doesn't drop until January 31 in the affected year. So, assuming you are 1K for 2016, your status expires after your January return in 2017.