1k Phone Reps...bad news bears

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by steelgal32, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today I experienced a 44 minute phone call to change a ticketed reservation....and then it was changed wrong...another 12 minute call to correct it......she just kept saying she had to contact ticketing--it felt more like she went on smoke break for 30 minutes and then came back to the phone.......
    do others receive such poor service from United call center?

YULtide likes this.
  2. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have mostly received good service from the US based reps who answer the 1K line.

3. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto.

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible the OP was routed off-shore... either inadvertently or because her 1K status wasn't noted?

OP... did the rep have an accent that would indicate an off-shore call center?

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    So many things can come into play here, such as complexity of the itinerary, upgrades, experience level of the staff (including the folks at ticketing).

Not going apologist here, but it sure would be nice to know more. Sometimes the answer is within the explanation of the situation.

6. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i called the 1k line, the change was very basic- all i asked for was to move up the return by 1 day on a flight from LHR TO ORD--same flight numbers exactly--
    round 2 agent was much better, i guess perhaps it is the luck of the draw

YULtide and RichardInSF like this.
  7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this happen on occasion (and I make very good use of the free change allowance). A seemingly simple change results in an overly extended time on the phone. I've yet to figure out why... new agent, computer problems, who knows.

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overall I have had decent luck with the 1k line but occasionally you get someone who is having a bad day. I have been put on hold for 10 minutes or so max, don't think longer than that. That happens when they call someone on your behalf (such as the mileage plus desk).

Rlpro likes this.
  9. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised. I have been very lucky with the 1P line - they have kept me on the phone, but the wait was worth it, they totally took care of me.

Knock on wood, I have been very lucky - I seem to get routed to the US call centers vs ICC. Makes 1P worth it. :)

Rlpro likes this.
  10. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overall, my experience has been positive. I was on hold with the 1k line this afternoon slightly long, but I did feel the agent was busy with my request. For the OP it does seem like an excessive wait for an unsatisfactory result. :(

RichardInSF likes this.
  11. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the 1k line to be about on-par with CO Plat line. About 50/50 good and bad.
    When you get a good agent, they are amazing. And when you don't... yeah.

12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Needed to deal with several itineraries a few hours ago. Upon answering the call I heard, 'Hello'. That's it. Nothing more. I asked a question on a fare basis and her response was, 'We can't see what you do online'. So I hung up and called back.

There seems to be a direct correlation between the greeting you receive and the quality of service rendered.

misman likes this.
  13. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you implying that a "test question" combined with the "greeting test" be used to determine if you have a quality agent?

14. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW - I think CO changed a bunch of flight numbers at some point in the past 48 hours, and I for one got a message to call and confirm. I'm thinking maybe the lines were busier than usual and people were being routed to other desks? I had about a 10 minute hold when I called, which is NOT my normal experience. When I spoke to an agent she was helpful but much more perfunctory than usual - I think they were just really busy yesterday.

15. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    same here

16. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been getting India on all my calls today (I'm a 1kmm). *Not* impressed. Either the phones are missing the database lookup, or there's been a policy change.

goalie likes this.
  17. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called once last week and once yesterday and got good stateside reps both times.

18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a first the other day. Called to book an award and had everything lined up from ANA. The first flight I ask for TATL, on a route UA doesn't fly, am told, 'I'm sorry that UA flight isn't available in saver award, would you like to book a standard award?' I was quite confused and asked her to repeat the info. She listed UA xxxx, a code share.

When then told I wanted a Star Alliance award she said, 'Oh, you need to ask for that.' :oops:

19. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will sometimes get a seemingly inexperienced US-based 1K agent. This past weekend had one put me on hold to figure out how to do the confirmed same day change mentioning "we don't get many of those," which I found odd.

I remember ALL of my calls as a 1P being terrific. As a 1K, I hope to get HNL. A lot can be determined in the way they answer the call. A proper introduction, or "United Airlines 1K desk," or anything other than "Yes?" or "Mr. Frequently Flying?" I usually have a good experience.

20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Mostly varies with the call center you get.

I've had a few times recently where I've been dumped off-shore after calling the 1K line, in order to have my call answered promptly. Really funny because then the agent says "we have a special line for you" and proceeds to connect me to the 1K desk anyway, which causes a wait. I'm usually like, "I bet you can help me just fine" but they think they're not allowed to or too nervous to even though the system sent me to them. Which isn't how it's supposed to work.......

21. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or another silent change we're not gonna like :mad:

Downunder girl and sunseeker like this.
  22. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently has an excellent experience with 1K Voice/Line. I had a small itin issue and emailed in. I received an outstanding email response, as well as a personal phone call from a 1K Customer Service rep. Very friendly and helpful. This is a first for me. They typically will answer, but more of an auto form email. This one actually had some helpful information not to mention the phone call. I do concur however that about 25% of the time I get a real doozy on the other end.

Dear Mr. JSLO,
    Thank you for contacting United Airlines Customer Care Department.
    I am responding to your email regarding your XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for your upcoming travel on XXXXXXX. I was able to view your reservation number XXXXXX and it appears that your itinerary has experienced more than one schedule change and it kicked out some of the upgrade requests. I reached out to a supervisor in our Reservations Department and we were able to enter the upgrade request manually for you and your companion on your flight from XXX to XXX on X and XXX to XXX on XXXX. I checked with my resources and our automation team is aware of the glitch that kicks out the UDUG request during a schedule change and they are working on a permanent fix. In the meantime I want to strongly encourage you to continue checking on your upgrade requests especially when a schedule change occurs even minor as we will being going through several schedule changes as the progression of the merger with Continental continues.
    When in doubt please feel free to contact our 1K1CALL line at XXXXX where our Reservation agents can provide you with prompt assistance and they can warm transfer you to any of our 1K Departments such as Refunds, Baggage, Mileage Plus, or Customer Care.
    Mr. JSLO, as a 1K and having flown over XXXXXX miles with us already this year you are and will continue to be one of our most valued customers. On behalf of United Airlines I want to thank you for your continued loyalty, we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard again soon.
    At the conclusion of this email, please fill out the survey where you can rate your experience with the Customer Care department. We value your feedback and hope that you are satisfied with our service.
    Regards,
    XXXXXXX
    United Airlines Customer Relations

23. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It definitely depends on what you are trying to do. I got HNL the other night. Was trying to change an award reservation -- it was a fairly tricky change, and the agent needed to contact MP. It took about an hour to get it done! The HNL agent kept coming back and saying 'this is really stupid'.

So while the 1K agents can be fantastic, if they have to get support, you're at the mercy of someone else.

And if you detect a Detroit 'accent', well, all bets are off!

Jslo likes this.
  24. Downunder girl
    Original Member

Downunder girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I seem to always get Detroit, maybe its where the overseas calls are sent or the time difference when I call.

So what is the issue with Detroit? Please tell :D