1K Mileage Plus access

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RobotDoctor, Feb 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

RobotDoctor Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past there was a dedicated access portal to Mileage Plus for 1K members. Does this still exist? I have qualified for 1K for 2013 (first time since 2007) and have tried to locate this on Mileage Plus. The new Continental format doesn't seem to have it. Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing special for 1Ks on the site. All the old site had from what I remember was the link to the extra phone numbers.

3. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I found out the answer on a different site. Thanks anyway.

Moderators please lock up this thread. Thanks.

4. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 1K only website is long gone. The various contests and giveaways are gone too. The only aspect of it that remains is the updates/news about 1K benefits which is now done via email or postings on the united.com site or communication by UAInsider on here and TOBB.

So there isn't really any special communication to 1Ks anymore. Heck, even the 1K line is not really dedicated anymore as more often than not it will be answered with the generic "Premier Line".

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, United did away with the 1K only website even before the UA-CO merger was announced.

6. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was there, there was just no content of any real value.
    The 1k specific promotions ended a while ago.

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I lost my 1K status back in early 2008, well before the merger after 13 consecutive years earning 1K. I was just curious if there was anything in today's Mileage Plus that 1K flyers could turn to. I guess the days of the value UA placed on their 1K flyers is long gone, and has been for over a decade or so.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you saw so value in the status in 2003 but kept it for 5 more years anyways? :confused:

And you considered the web portal a significant value-add to the program benefits? :confused: :confused:

Scottrick likes this.
  9. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I maintained 1K for a few more years because as a last minute traveler based in the Denver area there were no other realistic options for me. United Airlines had more seats in and out of Denver than any airline .... period. That was, and still is, the first criteria I have to have met. In 2003 I was selected by United WHQ to be part of the inaugural United Global Service program. I did not requalify for 2004 but qualified for UGS again in 2005 and 2006. I also became a MM flyer in November 2004. I traveled less than 10,000 miles in 2006 and was dropped down to 1K for 2007.

All in all, United has done a decent job with the Premier program and I have not looked for an alternative. Fast forward to 2013, the new Mileage Plus program is not what it once was. The influence of Continental OnePass is evident throughout. The reduction of award mileage accrual for Premier Gold and Premier Platinum is disappointing. The introduction of Premier Platinum is also disappointing. That said, no, the addition of a web portal is not a significant issue. I had hoped for accessibility for 1K flyers that has not existed for over a decade. I was not expecting this so I am not disappointed.

10. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are Gold and Plat earning rates devaluing the program to a 1k? How is the addition of the Plat tier a negative? Did you not appreciate being ahead of Golds when you exceeded 75k miles?

If all you want to see are negatives then that's all you'll see. There are a good number of positives to the new MP program (and a handful of legit negatives). And at the end of the day if you don't think you're getting a competitive benefit set then fly someone else.

11. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The PMUA Mileage Plus program had just 4 levels of Mileage Plus: standard, Premier (2P - Silver), Premier Executive (1P - Gold) and 1K (Gold). I will not add Global Service to the criteria at this time. The reward mileage accrual for 2P was 50% while all Gold levels (1P and 1K) was 100%. Persons who flew one million miles on United metal or United Express metal achieved lifetime 1P. There was never allowances made for credit card promotions or anything else other than actual flying on United/United Express flights for MM status. Flights on alliance carriers counted for annual status qualifications but not MM status. Also, occasional 4th quarter EQM promotions also did not count towards MM status but for only annual status qualifications. Fare bonus EQM/EQS also only counted for annual status.

Adding Premier Platinum added another level and made qualification for 1K a lot harder. The Platinum level was a bridge from OnePass to Mileage Plus. In adding this level, 1P reward accrual dropped down to 50% and Premier Platinum reward accrual is at 75%. The devaluation of 1K (if we want to call it that) is that now to attain 1K on segments has risen to 120 segments from the 100 that was Mileage Plus PMUA. For those of us who always flew over 100 segments to attain now have to fly just a bit more. 100 segments is between 25 and 30 round trips for me. That is a lot of seat time and a lot of revenue for United. Due to the current economic environment I cannot justify Y or B fares on returns and cheapest fare outbound as I used to fly. My discounted fares are often close, if not over, $1,000 today. My issue is that the loyalty I have shown United Airlines since 1994 is not appreciated with the new group of "United" management. The group of flyers I am with have been called "overly entitled" in interoffice emails my Mr. Smisek. The $25,000 to $35,000 in airfare I spend due to the nature of my business appears not to be of value. My 20 consecutive years of being United Premier or higher is now relegated at the same level as companion status (correct me if I am wrong here).

Instead of either lowering the "Platinum" level of PMUA (1K) to 75,000 miles or 90 segments, the new management added this level. The new management could have grandfathered the Platinum level for one year and then made the move to the PMUA Mileage Plus levels. Yes, that would have required OnePass Platinum flyers to fly 25,000 more EQMs or 10 more segments but that would have also generated additional revenue. Unfortunately there are a great many United 1Ks and Global Service members who have had enough and have left United for AA or whom ever. The reason I don't leave is because being based in Denver UA has more seats in and out of DIA than anyone. Generally as a last minute flyer and one who makes changes during the week on return flights I have little choice. I am all for a competitive benefit but I have a hard time accepting a diluted set of benefits pacifying everyone. I am not the only person who believed that the PMUA Mileage Plus program was a better program, being voted the best FF program for 8 years running.

emwitty likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still need to fly the same number of EQMs as before. 100k. No change for me there. But, 100k has always been a stretch for me and prevented me from using RDM as much as I would have liked. Now Platinum gives me a level with significant benefits over Gold (fee waivers for award rescheduling, I am looking at you) that falls in my "natural range" of annual flying. So this new level didn't hurt me last year when I flew 100k, and it won't hurt me this year when I am flying around 75k. In fact, I am benefiting from it. And guess what, as I reach MM status in about 70k EQM from here, my wife will benefit from it as well, without having to fly another revenue mile with UA if that's how we want to play it going forward.

And yes, the RDM bonus went down for Gold. My wife was Gold in 2012 and flew about 40k miles. So she got 20k bonus RDMs less than with the old UA MP program. I think I am willing to live with that downside. I could sign her up for the Explorer card and get those missing RDM for two years with the 40k or 50k bonus.

Yup, so if you fly on segments and want to reach 1K, you have to fly more and I can understand that those impacted don't like it. But that doesn't make it universally worse for everyone.

Were there such emails from Mr. Smisek? I thought the "over-entitled" statement came from CFO Rainey.

So if their (UA's) calculation was that the frequent flyer program wasn't the only thing that kept people flying their airline and there was room for devaluation, they were apparently right in your case. Same for me, by the way. United just works best for me out of SFO. I do fly WN or VX on occasions for short-haul when the price is right, but otherwise I tend to stick with UA.

... and by voting it the best FF for 8 years running, didn't the voters implicitly also send a message that it perhaps was too generous in comparison to others (the losers) in those beauty contests?

I have never voted in the Freddies (and other similar events) because I don't feel qualified to judge the other programs It's not like American Idol where I can just listen to them each for three minutes. But if I did, I'd be inclined, in my own best interest, to vote up the programs I DON'T care about to prevent my favorite from becoming a prima donna who feels she doesn't have to work (for me) anymore.

13. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure who made that statement (overly entitled) but was told by some insiders I know it was mentioned in emails that Mr. Smisek had circulated. Really doesn't matter as this is their opinion.

With regard to frequent flyers voting on a program that has generous benefits .... but of course!!!!! :D