1K leaves UA for Delta

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gcaunegre, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Starting october, UA is getting out to make place for CO old 757 CDG/IAD, 2 flights, 2 classes, old eco seats, bad BC seating,0 privilege or status for 1K's, back to scratch & no bonus.
    Wrote to 6 VIP's, 4 answers, waiting.
    I am quiting UA at the end of the year to join Delta/Air France

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is the biz-class seating so horrible? The 757s are almost completely refitted with the lie-flat seats.

E+ will be added to the entire mainline CO fleet starting in 2012.

I guess it means one less 1K to compete for UDU.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 757 Biz seats are actually quite nice. The economy seats include AVOD and power at every seat. E+ is coming. You can link your UA and CO accounts so that you have full status on both carriers.

If the above is at all representative of the letters you wrote to 6 executives I don't blame them for not responding.

But if reality isn't enough to make you reconsider, have fun over at DL. I'm sure that they're perfect. ;)

misman, Xyzzy and mht_flyer like this.
  4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your home airport? To where do you usually fly? What airlines provide the most frequent service between the two? If it isn't Delta/Air France changing might not be such a good idea.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're foregoing your 1K status because they're swapping one old-config 777 with two 757s with lie-flat seats?

Really? There's GOT to be more to this.

As someone who is flying to/from Paris in November, I'm excited over the fact they are adding a 5:00 p.m. flight.

6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your worthless PMUs....

Delta is the worst US-based carrier for frequent travelers who travels heavily internationally for US based customers IMO... But as always, YMMV.

planeluvr, mht_flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    if the OP flys IAD-CDG on a reg basis then I can understand their wanting to switch over to ST and Im assuming flying AF non-stop

Of cause the OP could always fly to PHL and grab USs A-332 with the new Envoy seats or very comfortable Y seats but if they want only a non-stop and usually are in Y then I too would rather be on an AF flight then a CO 752

If on the other hand the OP flys the route say 1 or 2 times a yr I dont get it as I said above Id go with a IAD-PHL-CDG or DCA-PHL-CDG

Lufthansa Flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can understand why he might not be so happy... no E+ (the thought of E+ sometime in 2012 or 2013 is not too enticing to someone needing to go to Paris this fall or winter.) UA SWU are useless. Exit rows are certainly not assured. I have the misfortune of flying a 757 CO flight to Europe purchased a few months ago and I was not able to secure exits/bulkheads (although I could have sworn that it was the first thing I did after buying it as the thought of an EWR connection and a 757 was overwhelming (it was the 'cheap date' however so I went ahead)...but when I checked last week I am in like row 28 :eek: and anything resembling decent is Long gone). IAD-CDG is my normal way to go to CDG but starting this fall it would have to be the cheap option for me to do it. ORD it is.

9. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a GS/Diamond I see it from both sides. Yes Delta PMU's are a joke for international travel, but you can use them with Air France to upgrade from Economy+ to Business on some pretty reasonable fares. Also Delta does have GoGo on most of the fleet. PMNW planes are abysmal domestically in terms on entertainment. Diamonds get free lounge access.

United is way better with SWU's, compensation (tell recently) for IRROPS / bumps, but both programs are pretty decent. I'd say its not fair to say either program is really that bad. In terms of UDU for domestic they have been pretty decent both -- I've cleared almost all domestic segments on both airlines.

If its a specific routing then I get it...for me I can't fly AA out of my home airport because its all RJ, and mostly to Chicago...which in the winter is a no,no for me.

bez7 likes this.
  10. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see nothing in the OP's statement that is indicative of the 'brick' thinking. Of course, it does seem that a lack of unbridled love and admiration for all that is Continental does open oneself to criticism.

bk3day and chrislacey like this.
  11. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    The nicest C seats on the CDG/IAD route would probably be found on the CO 752's. Unless you're buying up to AF F, the CO BF option is probably the best bet for seats and IFE.

Being a 1K and DL PM & DM, I will say I've never had such shoddy Customer service as I've had with DL as a Plat and Diamond. I avoid them like the plague, and thankfully will not have to fly them anymore.

As far as SWU's being worthless, I've never had trouble using mine for myself or when upgrading family/friends.

UA you can also convert them to paper and do C>F on LH. That's where most of my UA SWU's went and I'd never dream of DL doing something as nice as that.

12. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry to Disagree US uses only its new A332s to LHR/CDG and TLV and those Envoy seats IMO beats COs by far, however on USs other types I Agree with you. But since the OP is heading to CDG then US is definitely the way to go if going *A

so much so that USs Y seats on those A-332s beat CO as well and UA except for UAs E+, but of cause USs service is another matter, but seta wise they kill both CO and UA Only with thier A-332 new config

Flyer1976 likes this.
  13. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you enjoy DL. I never used them before. I don't have any complaints with UA over the years, but each experience is different.

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont think I'd ever leave that status behind and go to another alliance that has in recent history had inferior program benefits that *A. Personally, I couldnt see leaving *A, I just dont see a better alternative, but that IMHO based on my travel needs.

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You missed another routing for US with the new envoy.. they use the 332's for PHL-MUC with the new seating. trust my ButtInSeat experience on that one.....

16. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your're kidding, right? Funnin' with us, looking for a reaction? Not serious? It must be a quiet, lonely day, at the 1K level?

rggale and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    maybe an upgrade didnt clear.....Why not just get a status match and go now???

18. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you had the time of your life...

19. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see that, however, keep in mind DL does not have E+ and probably by the time DL is done installing economy comfort on all of their international birds, CO will be done installing E+ on the international birds as well...

I think Economy Comfort seats on DL is going to be very difficult to grab due to the limited quantity and people like me would pay up in a heartbeat if there is an EC seat available. EC offers a lot more than E+ and costs about the same, so good luck there if you tend to book your tickets a few weeks in advance.

20. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Platinum and Diamond members get Economy Comfort for free -- but its hardly anything to write home about just more leg room and free "spirits." Both United and Delta would so much better on international if they had a real premium economy product.

I'd say you'd have to compare plane to plane to see which airline is better the 777's Delta flies are pretty comfy, but I do love United's new Business and First international...

21. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not saying the CO BF seats or service are bad. They're great! CO BF is better than AF C...I've flown both. DL I know nothing about as I've never flown them on anything but fire sale coach prices to Europe...I am sure that their BizElite is nothing to write home about.

My point was if you're a 1K with SWUs you'd like to use, you'll be making that hard right as you enter the 757 as UA SWUs are worthless on CO operated aircraft. Sure the old UA 777 was nothing to right home about going cdg-iad but it sure is better than any coach seat...and yes that includes CO. You now have one non-stop choice on UA... ord-cdg..and good luck with that clearing as any 1K wanting to go to CDG on UA that day will be fighting for those seats on the 767. Sure that will change next year but it doesn't help when you want to fly iad-cdg this fall! I suppose this is good for CO folks as they'll have even more options for upgrades to CDG using their SWUs.

22. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be blunt best value to CDG from US is OpenSkies in my opinion -- great fares / great product.

thegrailer likes this.
  23. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL Biz (non) elite makes UA C look like a true F product. I've gotten better service in UA Y than on DL (imitation C) C. At least to LHR they have lie flat seats; soft product still abysmal. Being a smaller guy, I should never feel cramped in a C seat, and the 764 C seat does that.

24. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wow. Not a very good reason to switch IMHO. Good luck...

25. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ==

I totally agree with your comments about Delta. Both my wife and I were Platinum on Delta for well over a decade, but service and attitude got worse and worse over time as they put paper pushers into all senior management positions. Only BA is worse. UA is quite decent.