1K by Segments - I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by wanderwoman, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about you? Anyone working on getting 1K by segments versus miles and how's that working for you? Because I'm midwest based and I picked up some inexpensive segment runs last year, I decided to continue with segments versus miles to reach 1K. It was hell, ending with about 68,000 miles but I made it. This year, I'm no idiot: MILES. Segments versus miles...can it work?

geoffco and piqaro like this.
  2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Segments can work, just not for the person who flies for leisure. The segments method is really designed for the business traveler who is flying multiple times every week in a relatively short area. If I had more projects last year, I probably would have made 1K by segments myself

piqaro and wanderwoman like this.
  3. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    you're not an idiot, wanderwoman, you're my hero. i'd NEVER do it that way, but you did. you're very brave. ;)

FlyingFree and wanderwoman like this.
  4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Last year I made it on miles & segments. This year...it will only be miles since they've raised the qualification on segments to 120 from 100. Now if someone is going to fly 100 segments in a year...they deserve 1K in my opinion!

5. I formulated several flight plans for 25K per trip at under $1,500.
    I flew two last year, but I only need two for 1K this year :p

Some of my friends fly across the country to go to Asia when its the same price or less for the International.
    Crossing the US is often less than $250 R/T

Also finding more options to go the long way around the world to a destination without paying an RTW airfare ;)

6. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to qualify for elite status via segment runs.
    Whatever works for you is best.

However, remember this: "Nobody ever flew to Hawaii for free by redeemeing segments."
    (Hannaman)

SFOCanuck, FlyingFree and Xyzzy like this.
  7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I qualified for 1k last year with both, but made it far earlier on segments (around October, I believe) than on miles (December).

This year with the change to 120 segments I don't want to have to worry about it so have been proactively picking up more projects that send me to the west coast even though they tend to be harder on me physically (bigger timezone change, early conference calls with east coast folks are very early, late afternoon/early evening flights back get in at midnight) than something in the central or eastern time zone would be.

8. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    You definitely aren't the only one, but 120 is going to be tougher than 100 :(

I ended with around 70k EQM and 100.5 EQS last year. But there was that 26-segment run in December...

9. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I made 1P on segments and later had barely enough EQM I would've made it on miles. Work travel slacked off the last quarter or I might have had a slim shot at 1K on segments. This year I might make 1P again but will likely be on segments (though depends on work projects) - but no way in heck can I muster 1K with the new 120 segments.

So no, you're not crazy, just whatever gets it done, go with it. What helped me regarding segments, was traveling a lot on full fare Y - combined with choosing routes with 2 connections when I could, it made a difference. Still a lot of time in the Devil's Chariot making all those segments. I have to remind myself occasionally what UDU stands for[​IMG]

10. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another subset of frequent flyers that should utilize segments are the non-hub flyers. I have coworkers from Columbus and Milwaukee and they have to fly 4 segments on every roundtrip. They are always 1k. Only downside is there aren't too many upgrades on the devil's charriot.

11. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    They can't do that anymore with the current routing rules,

12. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 segments each way so 4 total. They always have to hop to a hub then hop to their final destination.

13. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Out of a small station (ALB in my case) ... lots of trips still allow double connections in each direction. This is especially true to just about anywhere on the west coast.

14. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, I was going to say the very same thing. I am in a non-hub and must first fly to a hub. I always get 4 and sometimes 6 or 8.

15. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Part of me is jealous of the 1k opportunity and part of me is thankful for direct flights...such an internal battle! Hopefully you have found the right opportunities to get the 3-4 segment flights. I know there are some days when I just want to get home and others where I would love to just fly all day.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They may be a bit harder to find these days, but there are still a number of routes that allow 3-4 segments each way. Many of them are also transcons so you'd probably end up getting status by miles rather than segments anyways, but the routing rules are still there in many cases.

17. rdrushal
    Original Member

rdrushal Active Member

Status Points:
    26-segment run?!?! WOW. Care to share any details on that. After doing 140 or so segments last year I am not sure if I will be able to hit 1K again this year with a change in travel schedule... Might have to do something drastic...

18. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Segments?? Wow. I wonder how rare that is. I was nowhere close on segments last year, only 62, but on miles I was 212k.

I was quite impressed by the 26 segment trip. My highest ever was 19 and that was RTW.

19. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's that rare. Sure, more people probably qualify by miles, but one non-stop RT a week would have done it for the 100 segments level as of last year.

I'm surprised by the new 120K level, though, and why they aligned it with CO. I wonder if the flying patterns of CO Elites differ substantially from UA Elites. Maybe more CO Elites qualify with segments on intra-TX trips or something?

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the number of 1Ks who get there by segments is quite small. Well under 20% of that total population.

21. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    The past couple of years I've finished in the 120K-130K EQM range flying mostly domestically (with a couple Europe trips and a couple Asia trips). I try to minimize the connections (based out of ORD) and I've still ended the year right around 85 EQS. If I wasn't going to make it on miles, it would have been pretty easy to make a quick stop in Denver on 7 or 8 trips and be at 100 EQS. With the new 120 benchmark it would be a bit harder, but, I think the segment number is more attainable than it looks.

22. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This maybe true for the aggregate of global 1k's but I think there are specific airports where the ratio's shift. It's in United's best interest to ensure that each airport (hub and spoke) has a certain population of 1k's and to attempt some level of loyalty at the non-hubs.

Based strictly on my personal experience (and should not be interpreted as the position of the airlines), I have coworkers who were extremely price sensitive when flying out of non-hubs. Once 2 of them were gifted status (oh how I long for the days or Premier Associate!) they moved the bulk of their travel to United. Now they are 1k's and wouldn't dream of flying anyone else. Since 1k would have been impossible for them through miles segments was the best option. FWIW, these two have not complained a bit about the move to 120, although they do like to tease me about it.

23. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    But thpose fares never seem to be available from my home airport.

24. I'm not sure I follow/agree. This policy change is specifically designed to penalize the mid-continent hub fliers (especially ORD) as those were most likely where a lot of segment fliers live. Yes lots of exceptions out there but a typical domestic traveler out on Monday, Return on Thursday/Friday will have a really tough time getting 1K .. therefore I expect a lot less 1K commuters on those 7 AM ORD Monday departures

25. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree when considering commuters originating out of ORD. While I don't know that the new policy was meant to penalize anyone, it certainly hits the short-domestic, hub based flyers the hardest.

The non-hub flyers who must take 2 segments to get to any destination should not feel as much impact. As a result we see Hub cities fill their 1k numbers with long-hual international mile based 1ks and eliminate the clutter of the segment flyers. While 50 round trips of direct flights is not easy, its certainly not a huge inconvenience. It does reward the non-hub segment flyers who are dealing with connecting flights every week (which is much more of an inconvenience) by increasing the value of their status.