1K benefit question - 10% discount on in-flight duty-free

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TexasT, Jun 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TexasT
    Original Member

TexasT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I admit I'll likely not use it anytime soon, but does anyone know how the "10% discount on in-flight duty-free" for 1Ks work? (Prior to posting, I searched here for "discount duty free" as my search terms and nothing came up.)

It is listed on http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx under Fee waivers and discounts, but I am curious as to how to receive the discount? Has anyone here used it? If so, do you show your 1K card and the amount is automatically taken off or something else?

Maybe one day I will take advantage and I figure I might as well find out the process in advance!

Thank you!

genemk2 likes this.
  2. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past, I had to present my 1K card, and then the flight attendant would swipe my card through a machine( most likely the same one as they run your credit card through) to get the discount. I don't know if the process has changed since the merger, but I gather it should be similar to the past.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The process is still the same, and I am not even sure it is limited to 1Ks [the T&C should settle that one]. You order duty free items, which must be paid with a credit/debit card, and if you give them your M+ membership card and they swipe it, you get 10% off. However, I now forget whether the same thing can be achieved by paying with the M+ Explorer card or another M+ Visa signature. The 10% off is for real; I just do not recall whether presenting the M+ membership card is a prerequisite... In the back of my mind, it seems that it is....

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I remember the FA always needed my card.

Just made me think, because I never got my 2012 1K until this month (yes, I finaly got it on the 5th request), I guess I haven't done any duty free shopping on UA this year :rolleyes:

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last time I remember using this was 2009. I think 1P (Premier Exec) got the discount at that point, too. Another devaluation :) They did need to swipe your card through the terminal, but you could easily share your card with others on the plane.

7. TexasT
    Original Member

TexasT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you to everyone! I appreciate the guidance! :)