$1800 in Fairmont GCs for Capital One CC signup

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by Bobofoosh, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    For anyone not paying attention to the Capital One Venture card promo thread one of the redemption options is $1800 in Fairmont GCs.

You get 110,000 points after signup and bonus ($1,000 minimum spend). Each $900 GC costs 51,250 to redeem, so 102,500 points total. My wife and I both had our points post this morning and have $3,600 in GC coming our way.

Nice way to test out my lifetime Platinum membership.

Original thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...nus-status-match-for-their-venture-card.5740/

2. That sounds like an awesome bonus - I assume this is available to US residents only?

3. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have little to no related US banking-related credit history tied to a US social security/tax payer number, it's not readily available to non-US persons.

4. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there an expiration day to the GC?

5. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was going to post about this once I could get onto the Capital One rewards site. I looked up Fairmont gift cards on the Fairmont site, and the new gift cards have no expiration date. They are also tied to your account.

But not sure if these certs are the same as the gift cards. Still waiting for my Cap One card in the mail!

Questions: Is it a one-time use card? Do I need to spend the full $900? And is it one $900 cert or multiple $100 certs?

6. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's some fine print. They are Gift Card and it says fully transferable so I don't see how they are tied to the account. I haven't received mine yet but I'll post when I do.

The Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Card has no expiry date, with a total award value of $900.The Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Card is not replaceable if lost, stolen or destroyed. Cards are fully transferable and combinable.

7. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also available for Hyatt.

I think you have to use the whole $900 giftcard in one stay and there are some exclusions.

8. Having to use $900 in one stay will be tough on some 1 or 2 night trips ... would be easy to do if it were say 9x$100. Would be interested in someone posting the front/back of the certs once you get it. Thanks all!

9. I received these and it was in the form of 3x$300. I was initially a bit concerned with the bolded below, but after a couple calls I was assured that these would spend like cash at any Fairmont with no restrictions.

The Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Card has no expiry date, with a total award value of $900.The Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Card is not replaceable if lost, stolen or destroyed. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Cards may not be valid where restricted by law.Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Gift Cards are not redeemable for cash and are void if sold for cash or other consideration. Any tax liability, including disclosure, connected with receipt or use of this gift card is the recipient’s responsibility. Locations listed on gift card are subject to change without notice.Cards are fully transferable and combinable. Disclaimer: The listed merchants are in no way affiliated with Capital One, nor are the listed merchants considered sponsors or co-sponsors of this program. Use of merchant names and/or logos are by permission of each respective merchant and all trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Terms and conditions are applied to gift cards/certificates. Please see the merchant's gift card/certificate/website for additional terms and conditions, which are subject to change at merchant's sole discretion, if permitted by law.

10. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update. I am not sure if I am going to use the points for the Fairmont or the Ritz. I guess I will have to ask my wife which she prefers. I guess maybe I could use one of each.

11. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received the six $300 GCs yesterday via UPS next day air. These are the new cards that have no expiration and can carry a balance.

From the FAQ:
    • Fairmont Hotels & Resorts gift cards can be used for accommodations and more, including spa services, dining or golf, tennis and other leisure activities at any facility managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. Furthermore, gift cards can be used at any Fairmont Store location. For in-house guests, any charge that can be applied to a hotel folio can be paid for with a gift card. This includes taxes and gratuities.
    • Unlike a paper-based gift certificate the Fairmont Hotels & Resorts or Willow Stream gift card is designed to carry a balance. Therefore, if a guest uses his/her gift card to pay for something of lesser value than is stored on the card, the amount of the purchase will be subtracted and the remaining balance will stay on the card for future use.

12. The Mileage Millionaire
    Original Member

The Mileage Millionaire Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the Capital One rewards site, under "Earn More", Fairmont is listed with an earnings rate of 15 "miles" per dollar for reservations made through the Capital One link and paid for with your Capital One credit card. Therefore, by using these GCs, you lose the opportunity to earn 17 Capital One "miles" per dollar, which represents a 30% rebate.

For people like myself, who stay at both Hyatts and Fairmonts, this seems to tip the balance in favor of the Hyatt GCs, as long as you have a good use for the Hyatt GCs before they expire.

13. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you know whether the 15 mile/$ bonus requires booking a prepaid rate? I'm not sure how they link the stay to your C1 account unless you pay for it at the time you access the link.

I'm confused about the 30% rebate calculation. You would only achieve 30% if you earned 17% in Venture miles via the Fairmont link and then used those miles to purchase one of the $900 hotel certificates, right?

14. The Mileage Millionaire
    Original Member

The Mileage Millionaire Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is definitely not clear to me what rates qualify for the 15 miles/dollar. Other cashback sites like FatWallet and ebates pay cashback on all hotel rates accessible through their links, so I don't see why that wouldn't be the case with CapitalOne for Fairmont bookings. I would love to hear from someone who has actually used the Capital One link for a Fairmont booking and received (or didn't receive) miles for their stay!

Correct, the 30% back assumes the points are redeemed at the rate of 51,250 miles = $900 hotel GCs.