17 things flight attendant won't tell you

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsd...-things-flight-attendant-won-t-tell-you-.html

From what a flight attendant thinks about the passenger to
    what they'd say if they had the nerve, 17 things that a flight attendant won't tell a
    passenger has been revealed.

Things that flight attendant will not tell a passenger:

1. The coffee that passenger order is actually a decaf even though they asked for a
    regular, the Huffington Post reported.

2. When the flight attendant "arm" the doors on the aircraft, each flight attendant
    checks the work of his colleague at the opposite door as once in a great while they
    forget to arm the doors, which means the emergency slides won't automatically deploy
    if needed in an emergency.

3. The flight attendant are usually paid only after the wheels of the aircraft leave
    the ground. They don't get paid even when they are taxiing and there can sometimes be
    hours of delay between the time they show up for work and when they're airborne.
    Different airlines have different policies, but it's a way for them to save money.

4. If a flight is delayed, the airline might have to pay the flight attendant's
    overtime so if the flight is going to be late anyway, they delay it even further in
    order to make sure overtime kicks in.

Read More: http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsd...-things-flight-attendant-won-t-tell-you-.html

Chimpy, jrp2, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew about this one (and some of the others) but always wonder how AA gets away with having the "cross check" completed by the same FA that arms the doors on Mad Dogs... since there is only 1 FA at the front of the aircraft...

Things that make you go hmmmmm

Chimpy and sobore like this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    18. "You're cute."

MegaDont likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't 3 and 4 contradict each other?

MrAlexMoore likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone proof-read this story?

And...

5. The flight attendant's can upgrade passengers to business class or first class
    after the airplane's doors close but they don't do it very often, partly because on
    some airlines they have to file a report explaining why they did it, partly because
    there has to be a meal for the passenger and partly because the forward cabins are
    often full.

Really? They don't upgrade people because the cabin is... full? Shocking!

6. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought you were referring to the grocer's apostrophe.

Sunshine7, kwai, emwitty and 2 others like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes. The two comments were independent.

8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The newstrackindia.com article you cited seems to be a watered down version of one which recently appeared on Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-hobica/17-things-your-flight-attendant_b_2342980.html
    That point number 3 above is a bit longer in the original article, but anyhow, I have my doubts. There are over 2000 reader comments on the Huffington Post article. I've read about half of them. Quite a few comments are people are asking how it's possible that FAs don't get paid until wheels up. Nobody has an answer and nobody can confirm this is actually true. Seems like someone there would know. Or here. Can anyone confirm or deny? Personally, I don't believe it.

MX and MrAlexMoore like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As far as I understand it (and it probably isn't correct for all airlines) the pay clock starts ticking when the doors close.

Google seems to confirm that. E.g.,

http://www.airlinecareer.com/flight-attendant-jobs/articles.htm

autolycus likes this.
  10. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love this article. I imagine there are a few (or more) jerks on every flight. With that in mind I always try to be as nice as possible to the FAs. Sometimes that wins me a free beer and that makes me a happy flyer!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every flight attendant I've ever talked to, including my mom who was with Air West in the early 70s and a friend who has been with Delta for 15-20 years, has been paid based on doors closed, not wheels up. Still a lot less time than their real work day when you factor in all the other stuff they have to do before and after the doors are closed. The most senior want the long flights for a reason.

bigx0, LETTERBOY and desamo like this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely.

I'd challenge anyone to put forward a source that talks about wheels up time for FA or pilot pay.

Chimpy likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got this twice (in my younger days). :)

Chimpy likes this.
  14. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    autolycus and others, thanks, sounds like a pretty definitive answer to me.

Seems that's how the first flight of the day is handled, right? If the doors close, the FA starts getting paid, flight lands and then continues and/or turns around with the same crew, the clock doesn't stop when the doors open on the first landing, correct? Otherwise, how could #4 also be true?:

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doubt it. Who says that #4 needs to be correct if #3 is proven wrong already?

autolycus likes this.
  16. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. My understanding from all of them is that it's: Doors close, on clock. Doors open, off clock. The grind for a flight attendant on a regional airline can be tough. Same for the pilots.

I do think there are some other factors for those who are flying almost exclusively 1-hour and shorter flights. I don't think they have to literally do 8 flights a day, 5 days a week to get in their hours. Although I think my mom did close to that for a while--6-7 flights a day weren't unheard of for her.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed! Pretty low quality piece IMO.

autolycus likes this.
  18. bigbugs2000

bigbugs2000 Active Member

Status Points:
    When I worked for a regional carrier, the "working" time counted from parking brake release time to parking brake set time.

19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a little bit smoother than that when I met a very cute FA on AA few years ago. I was in F, and she sat with me for about half the flight. Boy was I jazzed.

We were both DFW based at the time, and the much anticipated phone call when I got home was well received, but talk about dual personalities! I am very turned off by profane language, and that woman used it as nouns, adverbs, adjetives... you name it. Actually, I can't recall any conversation I've had with anyone where the F-bomb was such a central part of their vocabulary.

She wanted to get together, and I made some excuse to postpone it.... permanently. The "cute" was totally gone after that short call.

20. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    "17. Don't ask me where you can shove your bag. I've been waiting 12 years to tell you where you can shove it."

OK, so let's see... you fly in one of these cramped tubes all day, you should know how cranky we all get. Even as an experienced flyer, I don't always know where I'm supposed to put my bag. And as a rational consumer, I responded to your baggage charges by bringing it on board ... and there's nowhere to put it? Then YOU get cranky? Huh?