150k AMEX Points - Figuring out what I can get for travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by liza8042, Jul 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. liza8042

liza8042 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi there,

I have roughly 150k AMEX points and have no clue how to even begin figuring out what I can get for travel with these. My fiance and I are looking into going to Thailand for our honeymoon, and I'm wondering if we could get there on this? If so, could we in business class? Or, would it be better to use the points to pay for lodging? Any advice in pointing me in the right direction to figure this out would be much appreciated!

Liza

2. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. liza8042

liza8042 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks -- how do I figure out what ratio it transfers at? I assume it's 1:1, but am not completely sure.

4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't have the Everyday card, you might want to get it for 10K MR sign up bonus.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    But with only 150k points the OP isn't close to being able to get two return tickets in a premium cabin, even with the 15% discount. Assuming it is a US-based AmEx account the points do transfer at 1:1 into KrisFlyer. At best the OP will get a business class award for 80k from the US to Thailand; knock 15% off and you're at 68k but that's one way meaning for two people on a honeymoon the total hit is 272k points. And that's assuming the award space shows up.

7. liza8042

liza8042 New Member

Status Points:
    Zomby Woof -- thanks for the link. This is what I was looking for. It looks like we may also want to look into Cathay...

Wandering Aramean - Regarding getting two tickets in a premium cabin -- what are the logistics behind purchasing coach and using points to upgrade? Would that be doable do you think? Otherwise, we could possibly use points one way and purchase the return trip out of pocket?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can try to upgrade but it generally isn't a great value (not nearly as much as it once was) as the points required are still significant and the eligible fares are not as cheap as they once were. Buying the return from SE Asia in cash may be your best bet. Depending on where you are and which airlines you're willing to fly there can often be very competitive business class tickets originating in that market. Not cheap, necessarily, but competitive.

9. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concur that an upgrade is not a good value. If all 150K points is in one account, maybe the other can get some MR cards (40K bonus for Plat, 25K for Premier Gold, 15K for Everyday Preferred). If SA is a good option, then Chase Ultimate Rewards is a transfer partner at 1:1. You can get 40K UR for Sapphire Preferred and 10K for Freedom.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Depending on your timeline, might be worth considering another AMEX MR card that has a sign-up bonus.

I don't know if Kris Flyer has one way awards but if you can't get more AMEX Mr points quickly, you might be able to sign up for some Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points for sign-up bonus and use one of the Star Alliance carriers for a one-way award.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, SQ offers one-way awards' everything is priced as a OW. And Chase UR can transfer to SQ just like AmEx can.

The SQ award chart is not great price-wise. The only reason it is particularly valuable is if you want SQ long-haul premium cabin awards. And even then finding available seats isn't always easy.