150 or 200% EQM fares

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by techauthor, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last December I wound up on a transcon that gave me 150% EQM (last minute booking). Good thing, too, because the snowstorms cxl'd my last trip of the year and I would have been about 1,000 short of *G.

The question however, is how do I find out which fare codes offer these extra EQMs? How do I price them on the usual searches (Kayak, or even CO/UA web site, etc).

Since most of my tix are bought about 2 weeks out, I'm thinking that there must be cases where a few dollars more would have bumped a fare class and earned a lot more EQMs. (My most common three destinations last year from EWR were IAH, SFO, and LHR)

Freddie Listo likes this.
  2. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're talking about UA, they have a handy page that tells you what each fare code earns.

But basically it's First Class, Business Class, and B/Y Economy that earn 150% EQM.

For all their partner airlines, they list those as well. It really depends on the FFP and airline you are talking about, which will require some cross-referencing...

UA Metal/Codeshare - http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,3122,00.html
    UA Partners/Star Alliance - http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1177,00.html

3. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that link. Do you (or does anyone) know how to price the bonus fare codes compared to the lowest discount price that the systems default to?

4. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you search for flights on united.com, under the "I would like to use this upgrade" drop down you can select Y/B fares.

Wanaflyforless and Freddie Listo like this.
  5. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other thing you might find is that if you are using a country specific UA website (ie www.unitedairlines.com.sg) sometimes their inventory of B fares is not available. What I then do is call the 1K desk in the US, have them book me a B fare and hold it for 24-hrs, and then I go into the UA office in SIN and pay for it in SGD (rather than trying to pay for it over the ph and having all the hassles with foreign credit cards etc).

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're only paying the extra for the miles keep in mind that it usually isn't a very good value. You'll almost certainly be paying a very high cpEQM premium for the Y or B fares. If there are other reasons to do so then go for it, but paying triple for 1.5x EQMs isn't usually a smart investment.