15 Tips to Be a Savvy Airport Road Warrior

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bnet.com/blog/small-biz-advice/15-tips-to-be-a-savvy-airport-road-warrior/3672

If you can spend 10 minutes debating whether it’s better to be stuck in the airport in Denver, Vancouver, orMunich — and make intelligent, cogent points in the process — you travel too much. (Munich won, mainly because of its recreation and shopping area.)
    I’m a ghostwriter but I travel more than you might think. Meetings with clients, meetings with publishers (many of whom still seem to think the only way to conduct business is over lunch), plus I speak about twenty times a year. Bottom line, lots of airports. Lots of mistakes. Lots of lessons learned.

Low-Tech Tips:
    • Consider a backpack instead of a briefcase or satchel. Easier to carry, multiple pockets/exterior pouches, plenty of room. Who cares if it doesn’t look as cool.
    • Keep all your chargers in your carry-on. Checked bags get lost. You can live without clothes but not phone or laptop chargers.
    • Carry a mini power strip or power splitter. For $10 you can turn one outlet into two; if all the outlets are taken you can easily “borrow” one.
    • Always sit near the front of the plane. Besides the fact you will deplane quicker, some planes have power outlets in the front section, even in coach. (Virgin always has power outlets in coach. Love Virgin.)
    • Like kayak.com? I think you’ll like Hipmunk.com even better, if only because you can sort results by “agony.”
    • Know the seats. Everyone loves exit row seats because of the extra leg room. Everyone hates the seats in front of the exit row because they don’t decline. Seatguru does a fairly good job of showing seats, power availability, Wi-Fi availability, overhead TV placement, and where the galleys and bathrooms are located (especially important if you hope to nap.)
    • Check in ahead of time. Many airlines bump frequent flyers to first class when seats are available, and the method is often first checked in, first upgraded.
    • Bring offline stuff. Sometimes you won’t get Wi-Fi. Sometimes you won’t get cell service. Bring a book. Bring documents. Load up your laptop with work that will not require online access. Especially bring busy work. Focusing in airports and on planes isn’t easy, which makes it the perfect time for relatively mindless tasks.
    • Bring an empty water bottle. You can fill it once you’re through security.
    • Bring earphones, even when you don’t plan to listen to music. If your seatmate grows tiresome put in your earphones. Works every time.
    • Bring business cards. Just kidding. Don’t be an in-flight networker. There’s nothing worse… if only because we can’t escape you.
    High(er) Tech Tips:
    • Be your own hot spot. My iPhone creates a handy hot spot: no Wi-Fi, no worries. Plus it’s cheap since for $20 a month I get 2GB of data. (Can’t watch movies, can do anything else.) And I can turn the capability on and off at will. Other hot spot options are available, so if you need Internet access and aren’t sure if you’ll have it carrying your own hot spot is the way to go.
    • Check in by phone. Then you can use your phone as a boarding pass. Sometimes the scanner will struggle to read the image on a phone, so turn the brightness all the way up before you get to the front of the line. I’ve seen other people have to go back for a boarding pass, but I’ve never had a problem. (Some people carry a boarding pass as a backup.)
    • Use airline apps. Some are admittedly better than others. Delta, United, Continental — all pretty good.
    • Consider a couple other apps. FlightTrack Pro provides detailed flight information, and best of all alerts for delays. Sometimes FlightTrack knows there is a delay before the gate attendants. GateGuru shows the food, shopping, and service options available in a number of different airports. City Maps 2 Go is a good offline map tool; download the maps you need and when you don’t have cell service you won’t be lost.
    Best tip of all: Be nice to gate and flight attendants. Their jobs are far from easy.
    Those are my tips — what are yours?

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great tips.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great tips! I really like Hipmunk!

savydog, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  4. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bring MP referral cards :).

5. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Status Points:
    Ask the gate attendant if you can swap your seat for the Uber Elite road warrior who just upgraded.
    Chances are he had the best seat in coach.

OceanBreezes, Bonnie, savydog and 5 others like this.
  6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't agree more with the backpack comment! In mine I always keep snack packs of nuts and dried fruit and granola bars just in case!

Hipmunk.com... awesome! Thanks for the link. I just did some searches and I really like it.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm really lovin this one:

• Carry a mini power strip or power splitter. For $10 you can turn one outlet into two; if all the outlets are taken you can easily “borrow” one.

Thinking back this would have been very useful many times!!!:)

8. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been doing this for years. And in my experience a standard wall-wart plug-tripler will run more like $3-4, not $10.

uggboy and sobore like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How'd you get your iphone to be a hotspot? I still have unlimited data with at&t, but they warned me against tethering. FM transmitter + pandora is still a pretty good way at getting back at them though :)

jmrich1432, uggboy and sobore like this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, something like this should work well and cost in $3-$4 range:
    [​IMG]

11. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely agree with the backpack comment. MUCH easier on the shoulders than a shoulder bag, and more compact than a rolling bag. It can get hot if you're doing a lot of walking, though I can live with that over the alternatives.

I do mobile check-in and BP whenever I can, although it had just occurred to me a few days ago what I'd do if I needed a ticket number to retroactively get credit for a flight - mobile BP's (at least UA and CO) don't have ticket numbers and the links become inactive a day or so after your flight.

12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your great insights and hints // tips! Excellent!:)

OceanBreezes likes this.
  13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It costs extra to turn on the service that makes it a hotspot--because they love it when they can get you every month instead of a getting a single one-time activation fee!--and you have to buy a separate (additional) data plan that is not unlimited. iPhones are not the only ones. My dad did this for his Droid and likes it, but I can do without.

OceanBreezes and hulagrrl210 like this.
  14. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree with the backpack because when I attach my rolling briefcase to my rolling suitcase, they are almost perfectly balanced when rolling them to where it takes almost no effort over any paved surface. Gone are the days of rushing through the airport to pull my backpack off to show off that nice sweat stain down the middle of my back.

The plug tripler is a great idea and will look to get one asap.

To deter talkative neighbors, ear plugs and an eye mask also work really well.

In addition to earphones, ensure yours are sound isolating as you they will do double duty by limiting fatigue during your flight and are great for when you are watching the in flight movie or your own entertainment. I'm very happy with mine from Etymotic but there are plenty of them out there.

In regards to airline apps, don't use Southwest's app.... at least not for the mobile boarding pass. Nothing like having your boarding pass pulled up in the app 10 minutes earlier and then getting to the front of the TSA line to find that it has disappeared, can no longer be retrieved and that you'll have to go back to the counter to get a paper one.

Back when my back was really messed up and I had to bring a seat pad for my chair at work, I decided to use it on my flight there. Fairly inconvenient to carry but it was one of the most comfortable flights I remember being on since those airplane seats can get quite hard on a cross country flight.

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    great tips....especially hipmunk!!

16. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still prefer the backpack b/c I don't always have a rolling bag with me. For instance, walking around in the city. I'm sure there has to be a backpack out there with a strap for a rolling bag, though.

sobore and miles and smiles like this.
  17. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen plenty of rolling backpacks, even had one for a while. :)

18. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried attaching my backpack to my rolling suitcase before but every time you stop moving, the bottom of the backpack takes a beating which is not necessarily what I want to do to my work bag.

The backpack is much more useful to me on vacation as I often need a day pack for going all over the place (paved and unpaved areas). But for my usual road warrior routine for work, the rolling briefcase is an absolute must to not only preserve my dress shirts and sport coats, but also my lower back.

19. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree with this - I have been looking for a lightweight one to include in my kit that is 120/240v rated. Anyone have a good recommendation?

OceanBreezes and upgrade like this.
  20. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just bought a triple plug yesterday at Menard's. They have several different styles for under $2 - three across, cube, and sort of a T shape, like the image below. Briefly considered that one in orange, but went with a cube in white. Only $1.79+tax and if it doesn't work out, I'm sure I'll find a use for it around the house. They even had a couple with nightlights!

[​IMG]

21. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All great tips; In my backpack I also carry a smallest possible universal adapter when traveling overseas.

22. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorites is a high Sierra rolling backpack with a removable day pack http://hssc.com/product?number=AT605&lang=en
    I cut the back pack straps off the the wheeled part and use that as an overhead carry-on and the day pack as my under seat bag. The day pack can either zip on or tether, I prefer to tether, it is much quicker

23. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, important to note is that when I tether the backpack it does not drag on the ground, it balances great too making it very easy to roll along

sobore likes this.
  24. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very Nice! Hard not to like that!

OceanBreezes likes this.