15 Nights to Renew Platinum, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by IberianNomad, Oct 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

As the title explains, I'm 15 nights short to renew my current status (platinum) but I don't plan on staying at any Marriott's any time soon and if I do it's definitely not 15 nights...I know my Marriott Credit Card will reward me one night for every $3K I spent but that's a TON of cash to only get one night...

Any ideas other ideas besides spending thousands of dollars or actually staying at one? A colleague of mine told me that if you call them, they might just grant the status since I'm somewhat close.

Either way, 75 nights is quite ridiculous in my humble opinion...

Thanks,

M

Kalboz likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was platinum this year, and hardly felt any extra benefits. I wouldn't stay one extra night to renew this dubious status.

tommy777 and Kalboz like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the status worth to you? Even if you're looking at a cheap mattress run that's almost certainly more than $1000 in real money you've gotta spend to get there. Are you going to realize $1000 in value from it next year?

Kalboz, Newscience and MX like this.
  4. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Probably not and the perks aren't really that amazing...

Kalboz and MX like this.
  5. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about doing a year of "Simplicity" and going a level lower? ;-) Marriott Gold is very good in my opinion especially traveling in Asia. Still good in Europe. Its a great midlevel status with good benefits. Ok, no more P present at check-in, less suites etc. But you still get lounge access, free ABF, Internet, room upgrade. The best is even good for award stays. In Asia 90% of the time I even get the benefits staying at a Courtyard...

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree, going for 15 nights on a mattress run is going to cost a lot, so the key question is how valuable is this upgraded status is vs Gold going to work for you next year's intended Marriott stays vs investment. though if you do go for it now, signing up for the Marriott Megabonus may lower the overall investment cost if the bonus for you is the free night certificate after every 2 stays.:)

Kalboz likes this.
  7. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have 60k points? Then you can buy it back when it runs out. Otherwise you might just be Gold next year, and seriously G and P are not that different IMO.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree, big difference between the Hyatt and Marriott tiers in this aspect IMO, comparing to Hyatt Platinum vs Diamond (Diamond is significantly better), Marriott Gold vs Marriott Plat difference may be less significant...

Kalboz and CHK like this.
  9. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Good points...might as well suck it up and take gold!

Kalboz likes this.
  10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott may very well give you some sort of offer at the start of the new year. Perhaps stay a certain number of nights to maintain plat or "buy" Platinum for a certain number of points. The points needed can fluctuate - nacho mentioned 60K a couple of posts up but if you call and point out you already have 10 nights towards the next level they may alter that.

Also, you may not need the full 75 nights -- they'll sometimes let you slide through with less. It's all case-by-case and I'd guess different every year.

IberianNomad, MX and Kalboz like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had only 18 nights at Marriott this year, and a month ago I received the following which is steeper than your situation:
    I am following my own plans and not going out of my way to have a mattress run nor will I incur any additional expenses to achieve Platinum again!

Considering the above, with your 60 nights spent at Marriott, I am 95% sure they will extend your Platinum for another year.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    IberianNomad and MX like this.
  12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Kalboz, I'm going to contact them directly and see if they will let me slide this year. If not, I might try to set up some "meetings", who wants to attend, lol!?!? Btw, thanks KathinJax!

M

KathInJax and Kalboz like this.
  14. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your time at home. There is not a big difference at all. I am Platinum Premier and staying at the JW in New Orleans this week. Let's see if I get the upgraded room.

tommy777 and Kalboz like this.
  15. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Did you get it?

Kalboz likes this.
  16. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    So I recently stayed 4 nights at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House and my nights never posted. What's odd is that when I logged on to my account during my stay they had the reservation listed under activity but now it doesn't show up anywhere. I tried requesting the missing stays but Marriott is arguing that the bill I submitted doesn't show any charges hence why I received no credit (direct bill through my company).

I'm going to contact Grosvenor House see if they can provide me with a bill that reflects charges. I should have looked at the bill before departing (rookie mistake). Regardless, I've always been credited my nights even for a direct bill...I don't want the points, just the nights for my status...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

M

Kalboz likes this.
  17. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    KathInJax and Kalboz like this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the program T&C: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

19. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not saying one way or the other, I am just outlining what MR might have based their decision on to deny stay/points. If they did it at other properties, then it is a YMMV situation ... in that case try again!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  21. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Though I do have a gut feeling that this property is a stickler for rules...

Kalboz likes this.