15 international food etiquette rules that might surprise you

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by rwoman, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, HiIslands, CharlesG and 4 others like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im all for local customs.... but, I also have my own local customs, so if I want to have cheese on my pizza or on anything else, I honestly dont give a rats arse if some Italian waiter raises an eyebrow.

:mad:

Having said that, I do agree with some of the rules..... ;)

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess you would go to El Bulli ( I think its closed...however) and ask for hot sauce for your steak?:)

Observing local customs no matter how you might think them silly or objectionable at least shows you have respect for your hosts and that in turn says a lot about one as person.:)

CharlesG, Gaucho and uggboy like this.
  4. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    No flipping of fishes in China? :eek: I don't think anyone can justify leaving half a fish uneaten.

rwoman, YULtide, CharlesG and 2 others like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what if you do know the Bishop of Norwich? ;)

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    trust me... the Chinese will eat everything down to the bones and not flip it........ ;)

uggboy, rwoman, snap and 2 others like this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets not get things mixed up.... repect and good manners is one thing... but not asking for salt or seasoning at a restaurant just because its super fancy or famous or the Chef is some demi-God of modern Cuisine is in my opinion absolute rubbish.

Ive sent back a dish at a multi star Michelin restaurant and yes I was hoping the Chef would dare come out because he would have gotten quite some feedback..... I dont go to restaurants to make a statement about my persona, but rather to have a proper meal that matches the economics I will get thrown at when I pay the bill. Of course, one must always send stuff back and or comment or complain with a smile and in a calm and polite manner, but by no means do you have to eat a dish that for example is not properly seasoned under the excuse of some local custom. I appreciate there are plenty of greys but it comes to a point where things are either black or white.

uggboy, TheBeerHunter, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  8. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess it's one thing to send back something that's poorly cooked, but another if the chef intended for it to be eaten a certain way only for the diner to ask for ketchup/brown sauce to go with it (steak comes to mind).

There's a fine line between respecting a chef's idea of how a dish should be consumed and a diner's freedom to eat something any way he likes (since, after all, he's the one paying).

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone of course has their own opinion and like you already stated mine might be absolute rubbish .. but its mine. :) Simplest way and perhaps the most effective way in providing subjective feedback to a chef or restaurant is by doing so in a more or less confrontational manner if you think yours is the one that gives you the most satsisfaction, the more power to you.

But let me play devils advocate here ...you what in world makes you think that any chef would pay any attention to your complaints if its based on a subjective opinion like seasoning ( which I what I am primarily discussing) or what primae facie appears to be grandstanding.:)

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    365RoadWarrior, Newscience and uggboy like this.