14 trendy new dining spots for bored business travelers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/news/sto...spots-for-bored-business-travelers/49655834/1

Kevin Smith is tired of eating at chains and longs for a way to spice up his eating pattern on monotonous business trips.

Smith, a senior director of sales in the biomedical software industry, says he is sick of the standard business meal of steak and too many cocktails.

"I don't want to eat at a chain, where I could be eating the same meal wherever I am in the world," Smith of Oceanside, Calif., says. "Some people like the comfort and predictability of that, but I don't."
    For business travelers, mealtimes can turn into the most mundane part of a trip. There is a solution: Head for an exciting new restaurant or follow a new dining trend.

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a reason why slop like Olive Garden and the like are in business. Most folks may talk a game that they'd like to try a different dining scene/cuisine but when push comes to shove, they just don't explore/try anything new.

Same holds true for business folks, perhaps even more so. I recall when I used to work as a manufacturer's rep for a foodservice company in a past life. During the big NRA (Nat Restaurant Assn) show in Chicago (which is a town that has terrific & varied dining options), being local I would suggest some not so well known places where the food was excellent (& much cheaper than the traditional business dinner places). Time after time, year after year, the answer was something like "that sounds great but (insert name) isn't too adventurous so we'll just go to a steakhouse or XYZ Italian." (like Italian is oh so ethnic :rolleyes:) One predictable eater spoils any chance for new dining adventure.

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just went to the Purple Pig in Chicago. Very tasty food, interesting european heavy wine selection and has a good friendly and social atmosphere.

4. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I do a mix... I love trying new places but with 200 days a year on the road, sometimes you just REALLY crave familiar stuff. I'm guilty of craving Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, the big bowl of iceberg lettuce from the Olive Garden, or Chili's Chips & Salsa.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I couldnt have said it better and I do remember you are not a great fan of Italian food:D