1332 PQM awarded for ORD > DEN flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by CEO, Oct 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently gave up a seat on a flight from ORD to DEN in exchange for a $400 flight credit and the standard free hotel/food. I flew out on the next morning and was pleasantly surprised when United awarded me with 1332 PQM instead of the usual 888 for that route (a 50% bonus). I'm certainly not complaining, but am curious why I was so fortunate. Any insight will be appreciated.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were rebooked in Y.

daemon14, NYCUA1K and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    TITCR. :-:

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do not get punished for all good deeds...:)

cordray2643, davef139 and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm new to MileagePlus and am still learning all the nuances. I'll have to start paying more attention to the fare class of the tickets I'm purchasing in order to maximize this benefit.

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earlier this year, I was on a US First award ticket that included LAX-SFO-FRA on UA. My LAX-SFO flight was delayed, so I was put on an earlier flight in E+. I don't know why, but I had put my non-status UA # in the FF field, even though it was an award ticket. I ended up earning 1.5x miles on the LAX-SFO flight, even though it was an award seat :D

Too bad I didn't get credit for the SFO-FRA flight in F though. :p

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Double dipping. :)

8. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just so you know, it's common to be rebooked in Y in these situations (at the time), but typically the fare class will revert back to the originally booked fare class when it is credited to your MP a/c.

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, that has not been the case. I can't remember a case where a rebooking at the gate did not result in a Y fare with the accompanying 50% bonus, and I've had a few. Last minute bookings typically offer Y only, and I think that means that the GA can only book in remaining available classes.

10. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you have been very fortunate, although I'm sure it may depend on a number of factors, including whether the original fare class exists for the rebooked flt.

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    In balance, I'm not sure that my total experiences would be considered "fortunate," but I'll take any bones thrown my way! I also did a buy-up last month on SJO-IAH-LGA that bumped me into D class and resulted in 175% RDMs. I didn't even know that class existed, but it eased the pain of paying what I thought was too much for the upgrade. I had three rough days ahead, and decided I didn't want to arrive exhausted, so I paid it.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they actually rebook in Y then, IME, that sticks. But do not go based on what you see on the BP; those only show Y/J/F based on the cabin you're seated in, not based on the actually booking code.

goalie likes this.
  13. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. My VDB rebook BOS-IAD last week posted as Y and I always look at the updated e-recpt on my phone via the main vs mobile site to verify the booming code and then mail it to myself for an if needed hard copy (and was very happy to see my SFO-BOS bump rebook in Full-F this past Friday ;))

14. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't always the case either. I was rebooked from an upgraded K fare into F. The e-receipt showed F but I got credit for ZK.

15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it's a classic case of ymmv and how the agent actually does the re-booking as my above mentioned SFO-BOS vdb re-booking from Friday posted this morning as Full-F (F/F) with all the accompanying bonuses

16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Additional data: I got five bumps this year, all were re-booked into full Y, and they stuck.

IDGflygirl likes this.