130k miles to use on US Airways- Help with optimizing these miles for the best trip

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by HassanChop, Jan 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. HassanChop

HassanChop New Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but since it's the US Airways forum...

My wife and I have 130k worth of miles and we want to fly somewhere end of March of this year. The reason for that specific time frame is because she is expecting and we want use the miles before the baby comes.

I want to travel somewhere to a nice beach (the Caribbean maybe).

I've used the US Airways award travel site to look at potential trips and how many miles.

My question is does anyone have advice on some good places to travel and optimize those miles with US Airways?
    Am I better off paying cash for a ticket versus using the miles?

I'm new to the whole flyer programs. I've followed the advise on the site and got my first credit card (The Barclays 50,000 miles) and signed up for hotel loyalty programs.

I'll continue to research but since our time is getting limited I wanted to reach out. I'm open to other places other than the beach.

I'll be happy to research more if anyone has advise or can point to the right links/sites.

Thanks so much

My home airports are DCA (Reagon National) and BWI (Baltimore)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    daninstl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Presuming you're starting somewhere in CONUS and looking for a beach there are plenty of options available and the 130k points should be enough to get you there. Tickets should be 35k r/t in coach of 60k r/t in first if you go to the Caribbean, assuming you can find seats.

Start by searching for flights (either on the US or AA site) from MIA or CLT to your island of choice and then fill in the connecting flights to get you to the gateway.

daninstl likes this.
  3. HassanChop

HassanChop New Member

Status Points:
    Sorry forgot to mention that I'm flying out of DCA (Washington DC). I didn't realize that I could use my miles on the AA site as well for US Airways. I know they merged but wasn't sure if that was possible now to book through American with my US Air miles. Thanks I'll check it out.

daninstl likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can book AA-operated flights but will have to book via US's site or call center. I suggest checking both sites just so you have a better idea of which flights are available and can double-check.

daninstl likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these miles all in the same account?

daninstl likes this.
  6. HassanChop

HassanChop New Member

Status Points:
    Yes all these miles are on one account (My wife's).

daninstl likes this.
  7. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure she signs up for the US Airways credit card right away. 50k extra points and 5k points less per award ticket booked.

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    She may have already done so. OP says, "I've followed the advice on the site and got my first credit card (The Barclays 50,000 miles) and signed up for hotel loyalty programs." If all his miles are in the same account (hers) that would mean she is the one who signed up for the Barclay's card. In that case, I'd recommend OP do one in his name. Since AA offers one-way awards, he then could use his own miles for some of the flights.

traveltoomuch, flyforawg and daninstl like this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would try to book as soon as possible. You should be able to find space but may need to be flexible on time of day, day of week, etc. You might consider staying in the US like Florida, Puerto Rico, US VI, etc. if she is very pregnant. In the event of a medical problem you will most likely get better medical care than say at some odd Mexican beach area. Just a thought. Personally I like Cozumel, Pensacola Beach, Miami, Key West, Puerto Rico. They should all be nice in late March but you might be fighting with space with Spring Break folks at the beach. I'd look for something off the beaten path.

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have some very nice beaches (and very good medical service) in the Naples to Fort Myers stretch of the Gulf Coast, and the Spring Break folks seem to stay on the Atlantic side so it shouldn't be too crowded or exuberant.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did PLS in F with US miles last year and it was relatively easy, although I had to connect in CLT.

Be prepared for one of the smallest airports you've ever seen, but the island is absolutely fantastic. Easily one of the best beaches in the world.

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell that to the locals in the Destin/Pensacola/Panama City area or even Clearwater Beach:D

Counsellor, viguera and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Small airports at island destinations are a positive - convey more of an island, away-from-everyday-reality vibe. I'm not sure if I'd consider anywhere that supports widebody traffic as all that small, though.

viguera likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends though... I consider both PLS and GCM to be small, and locally HPN is a shack compared to some of the bigger airports around.

Still, I do get your point... but I love any island airport where you can deplane out the rear of an A320. :)

15. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With your US Airways points, take a look at the partner list as well. Not only American, but see if you want anywhere else in the One World group that will take you someplace warm. I'm thinking that might open up options using TAM or British Airways with your points as well. Good luck, and congratulations.

16. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's up near the panhandle (also called by some the "Redneck Riviera"), nearly 300 miles from Naples - Fort Myers. That's also a popular retirement area.