120 segments to achieve 1k for 2012? Really?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by al613, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Elite status miles and elite status segments earned
    5.5 Status segments (EQS)

Progress toward 2012 1K status as of Feb 10, 2011
    You need xxx elite status miles (EQM) or 94.5 elite status segments (EQS)

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    .bomb at it's finest ;)

3. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please, tell me they have changed their mind :)

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish. They brought it in earning line with OP, and because of this they are making it so that only people who like torture are going to make 1K by segments.

5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel sorry for those that earn 1K by flying CR2s & E145s! :eek:

6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its a pain even with a few of those on the way to 1P by segments (though the E145s are at least tolerable)

7. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think United bungled this decision: 100 segments should = 1K. Along with next's year's reduction in CR1 earnings, United is decreasing benefits for its loyal flyers.

8. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems they have a lurker here:
    You need xxx elite status miles (EQM) or 114.5 elite status segments (EQS)

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I posted on my blog when they announced this, on one hand I hate the change since it makes 1K nearly impossible to achieve by segments, I can accept it because it aligns the earning ratio to those flying by miles

cockpitvisit likes this.
  10. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...I made 1P last year on segments...many on the dreaded Devil's Chariot! I don't like the segment change (had thought I might squeek by to 1K this year until the change to 120). Oh , well, nothing I can do about it.

I do agree the E145 can be decent, especially the A side, for shorter hops. Some of the Trans States Airlines 145s actually have some nicely padded headreast areas... ExpressJet seats, on the other hand[​IMG].

11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The E145 is still better, and I am generally happy with any seat in row 12

cockpitvisit likes this.
  12. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    120 segments is a l:eek:t. 100 wasn't terribly easy. I think they should have left it where it was.

13. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have sadly come to terms with the sheer impossibility of reaching 1k again. It was fun while it lasted but when your home base is ORD its very rare that you get a multi-segment flight anywhere in the midwest (my travel sweet-spot) on a regular basis.

With that said, it will be interesting to see how the new Preferred UDU status (75 segments) will impact my travels. As a 1k I was one of a very small population that traveled to places like Des Moines, Omaha, Lexington, etc. It may end up that with the reduction in 1k's the Preferred 1P will benefit quite a bit (at least that's the story I keep telling myself to keep from crying on the GA in F-Concourse)

14. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Come on! Just fly from MKE.

15. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As much as I would love that option, MKE actually tacks on quite the dollars to a standard ticket. Not to mention, living in downtown Chicago does not make for an easy commute out to beautiful MKE. I have started Mileage Runs from up there, but for standard weekly commute its just more effort than its worth. I'm still holding out hope for the expansion of the Gary airport!

16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last few years I've made 1k by segments and actually hit 120 at least once. It's a lot of wear-and-tear, especially with the CRJ involved.

This year I'm looking at long routings rather than multi-segment routings. The ability to duck south to IAH or run up to EWR to start a trip actually can add reasonable length.

The biggest effect of the change though is going to be actually causing me to fly more international trips for quick vacations so that I can squeeze more miles into fewer days. May actually use all of my SWUs for international flights for once instead of burning the last couple for domestic.

17. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really everyone? All this does is bring UA in line with essentially every other legacy out there. 100 segments to qualify for the top elite level is a gravy train compared to the others. US Airways is 120, Continental would be 120 if they had a fourth tier (since they're on the 30/60/90 path), Delta is 140 segments for top status...in fact, I was shocked a couple years ago when I started flying for work and was looking at FF programs that UA's highest level only required 100 segments.

18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that is exactly why even though I don't like the change for my patterns, I really can't be mad at them

cockpitvisit likes this.