12 Secrets the Experts Won’t Tell You About Eating Out

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, May 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/05/13-secrets-the-experts-wont-tell-you-about-eating-out/

Good Morning America” teamed up with Reader’s Digest on a special series highlighting insider secrets from various service industries. This month, Reader’s Digest’s editor-in-chief Liz Vaccariello reveals secrets from her book, “The Digest Diet,” that experts won’t tell you about eating out.

1. Chinese food is really easy to customize, since a lot of dishes are cooked to order. Ask for your food to be cooked with only a little bit of oil, or in broth instead.

2. The cheese served in restaurants is almost always full fat. So figure 50 calories per thin slice and 25 calories from tablespoon shredded cheese. Feta cheese has one-third fewer calories than cheddar cheese, and is easy to crumble into small piece.

3. If you’re going to get a pizza, put red pepper flakes on top. Capsaicin, the compound that makes chili peppers spicy, will cause your body to increase temperature and burn more calories.

4. Menu design. Our eyes have a natural tendency to look at the right side of the menu first, so restaurants usually list their most expensive dishes in that area. Some restaurants put their most expensive items at the top of the menu, so other items will look more reasonably priced. Shaded boxes and borders around menu items also attract hungry patrons and can increase sales.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/05/13-secrets-the-experts-wont-tell-you-about-eating-out/

2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    These "clever" restaurateurs may have out-clevered themselves. Some people won't go back to a restaurant so noisy you can not carry on a conversation, or one with uncomfortable seating. Using these methods to "turn" tables rapidly does nothing to build customer loyalty. Perhaps this is one of the reasons so many restaurants go out of business after their first year.

Gargoyle, uggboy, flyingdawg and 2 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Right. I generally won't be back. I might even turn around at the door.

By the way, seems like they ran out of ideas with #8 and then just added random stuff that has nothing to do with eating out.

YULtide and HiIslands like this.
  4. janejanejane

janejanejane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding #3, spice makes me crave more food. So much for the burning calories. :p

uggboy, Sweet Willie and flyingdawg like this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    What this doesn't tell you is the 'special' may not be a bargain.....

DTWBOB

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  6. Street Smart Traveler

Street Smart Traveler Member

Status Points:
    There was an episode of Dr. Oz on the same topic. There were a couple of things that restaurants don't want you to know. The one that stood out in my mind was when they said that the "Daily Special" is whatever food the cook has excess inventory of and is trying to use up before it goes bad :eek:.

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Economics 101 at play..... after all, its good to remember that folks are out there to make a buck.....

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you used the word 'before' in your sentence, so if the food is used beforeit goes bad, what is the problem?
    I'm usually very interested in a daily special (really don't care if it is a bargain or not), as the daily special should be just that, a "special" preparation or dish.

If the special is simply a normal dish "on sale" I'm not interested.

Lately the daily special I've been enjoying are soft shell crabs, they are a special because they are not available all year long & the restaurant isn't generally going to reprint menus for a limited seasonal item.

I get the point you guys are trying to make (buyer beware) but I would have missed out on some great meals if I had decided to stay away from the daily special.

uggboy likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. :D

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, I'm not that hungry anymore. ;)

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then the food wasn't special enough to warrant the usual restaurant price, but especially now with the special it warrants a special price, or it goes bad, just in time, I presume. So it's not really fresh, but not bad yet. That's obviously not a good special in the sense for the costumer who expects something "special" for the right reason, eg. higher quality than usual, something very fresh, like the catch of the day or something rare [ in season only ] for the given restaurant location, plus of course a very good value too.

12. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never order fish on a Monday!

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    These don't seem particularly secret.

ConsultingChris likes this.
  14. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Maybe if you have been living in a cave for the last 50 years, this would be new, but most have been beaten to death. I am starting to believe most lifestyle stories are now computer generated from a database of programmed topics. All they do is find relevant items using the formula

TOP XX SECRETS (SOME INDUSTRY) DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW (WON'T TELL YOU).

It would seem like the focus of most travel blogs and lifestyle sites are to generate links based on the headline. The stories don't seem to matter anymore.

Gargoyle likes this.