$12 meal vouchers on a 2 hour delay

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Apr 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First time I can ever recall being offered meal vouchers for such a short delay. While on board my JFK-SFO flight, we had a mechanical requiring moving to a new gate and new aircraft and departure time was pushed back 2 hours. PA announcement made that they were processing $12 meal vouchers at the gate and to pick one up on the way out, about 45 mins after boarding. When I exited, as a business class passenger, I was offered two vouchers ($24 total). Really only needed one which covered a sandwich at Au Bon Pain and a bottle of water at $11.95, as I knew an airplane meal was ahead of me, but nice of AA to offer the extra one.

Newscience, uggboy and Sammich like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is happening to the Airline Industry. I keep reading of more and more of this type of actions. (like the candies on Delta) Have the airlines decided that Customer Service is the best way to keep customers?

uggboy, flyforawg and Sammich like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like Two of the Three majors think so.

Just curious - Did they do anything for F? Those folks could have gone back to the FL (well, you could have, too, but not from cabin) and had a buffet of food and drink. I also wonder if it makes sense and/or is desirable for AA to give the business cabin F&B vouchers for the AC v. airport meal vouchers, and also wonder what is more desirable for a passenger. I also wonder if AA ever considers just giving FL access for such a situation to the business cabin - saves them a lot of money, and there aren't that many passengers from a single flight.

uggboy and Sammich like this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that is the case it took them a hell long time to realize that.

uggboy likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know what they were offered - I'd suspect at least the same $24 I was. Really not a lot of time to hit a restaurant and sit down even if they had given them more. I had come in from Madrid and was in the Flagship Lounge before heading to the gate, but didn't have anything to eat there because I knew the SFO flight was coming up pretty quickly. Didn't make much sense to go back there for the short time between flights (we were originally told a 1715 departure which would mean boarding at 1645, but we only got off the original aircraft about 1620 or so).

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    A very nice gesture. This may have been propagated by the fact that the delay was AA's fault vs with weather, and that the delay occurred at the beginning of a normal meal hour. It also gives people a purpose rather than sitting anxiously and asking questions every few minutes, letting the agents do their job and work the problem.

At Amtrak we always [try to] feed people as quickly as is reasonably possible whether the delay is our fault or not - full stomachs make people lazy and are a good way to start smoothing something over. Whenever I've been delayed on the train and people are about to go nuclear, the snack packs calm everything right down.

Maybe you're right and the Airlines have finally realized that no matter how bad they screw something up, passengers will remember the little things that were done to make it better than just the negatives. "We were delayed 2 hours but they gave us food!" vs "We were delayed 2 hours! American is the WORST and I'm never flying them again!"

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that they offered something for such a short delay. I had a 19hr arrival day last week, thanks to a 2hr maintenance delay and then diversion to Wichita Falls on my second flight of the day. Stranded at DFW that night and had to pay out of pocket for a hotel, which AA won't reimburse.

Best they would do was a $25 voucher or 2,000 miles..

8. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that they offered something for such a short delay. I had a 19hr arrival day last week, thanks to a 2hr maintenance delay and then diversion to Wichita Falls on my second flight of the day. Stranded at DFW that night and had to pay out of pocket for a hotel, which AA won't reimburse.

Best they would do was a $25 voucher or 2,000 miles..

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an extremely competitive premier route, so I would expect an airline to try to show its best customer service here.

However, DL's policy is not to give meal vouchers any more. Earlier this month, four hours into a six hour mechanical delay, L distributed cold sandwiches and nothing else at the gate. People waiting for the flight in the lounge were discretely told by the dragons to go the gate and grab a sandwich when they became available. I was surprised that were were no chips, fruit or veggies, or at least bottles of water.

10. milerunner

milerunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crazy stuff, American should bring back complimentary meal service in the main cabin on 4+ hour flights, I bet delta and united would lose a ton more fliers

11. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad idea on the transcon routes. Doesn't even have to be a hot meal, or a lot of food. DL does those little snack boxes on their shuttle flights, don't they? Something like that would be lovely.