12 hour award ticketing hold

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by FriendlySkies, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    As many of you may have discovered, redeeming miles for an award ticket seems to generate a 12 hour hold.. Is this somethIng that all star carriers are participating in?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No it's a United issue and has to do with specific carriers where there's an IT issue, segments cancelling out within the first 12 hours, so they've had a new policy at United to wait to ticket though it's not being strictly or properly enforced.

Whether there's a hold or not, it's ALWAYS best to verify everything about your booking, I always make a point of getting in touch with the operating carrier for seats and asking them to check over the booking to make sure they're able to see not just the reservation but the actual United ticket...

Sort of a different issue but early in the week I put an award on hold with United. Everything looked fine online. But I noticed that the 2 seats which were available, that I took, still showed as available. Now, it's POSSIBLE an airline adds 2 more seats instantly. But I figure I'd better check.

The United agent hadn't properly confirmed the award seats, everything looked fine online but the seats were NOT confirmed. We had to start a new reservation...

3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that it's always best to check with a live human being if you have the least bit of concern, and even when you don't.

4. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not have a hold occur when I did an award booking with UA miles last month that included 3 other *A airlines + UA. Didn't know to look out for that. However, I had heard to call the other airlines and make sure they saw my reservations (and get seats). No problems there.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The potential issue as I understand it is with Lufthansa and Scandinavian, and it certainly doesn't happen a majority of the time. It's a precaution given an IT problem, supposedly.

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my understanding as well, LH and SK. I recently changed some award segments on LH and no hold was spoken of. I have confirmed the seats were booked properly. I'm wondering if this is just an initial booking thing (not that I've ever been told about this when making the initial bookings).

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The issue revolves around the airlines where UA gets "live availability" vs. (I don't know how best you call it) "general availability" which doesn't update immediately from the host GDS of the operating carrier. A segment will usually bounce pretty quickly, but not always as quickly enough to happen before ticketing w/in minutes. Then you have a valid ticket issued on a flight that isn't operating, or has no availability. (It can even happen w/flights that are being canceled.)

8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This also happens when you book Hawaiian inter-island awards with UA miles. (A really good value if you get availability! 10k for a RT). But in this instance you cannot book online. You have to call UA international reservations book your flight and then call back in 24 to 72 hour window to confirm. What a hassle, but again, if you get the flights it's a great deal.

Now that I write this I wonder if you can look at the HA site to see what flights are available at their lowest point redemption and if that correlates to the availability at UA?