12 Days of Christmas emails

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Wandering Aramean, Dec 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure that nowhere in the registration process did it say you'd also be signing us up for emails. Seems like that should be an opt-in sort of thing.

Newscience and adrianors like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused about thee purpose of the email. Clicking on either the email link today or the little red 12 Days of Christmas box in the center top of MP pages seems to lead to the same webpage with the dates in boxes. Today when I clicked on today's date, the 15th, the big popup box with details of today''s gift said at the bottom that I need to enter my email address for today''s draw, but there's no place to enter anything and no link there to click.

So I'm very confused about what I need to do and I'm afraid that attempting to investigate/experiment will look like I'm attempting to enter more than once.

Newscience likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'm pretty sure this whole "12 days" thing was put together in haste when the Premium Membership deal fell apart.

I for one would have liked to be able to just sign in with my MP credentials, rather than using an unverified email address where I can put a typo... I guess someone goes in the backend and cross-checks the 12 Days registration email against the MP member database to find out who's the winner?

Not to mention that if they can spam me with a reminder about the registration they should also be able to spam me with an email letting me know whether I won or not, rather than have me come back to check the thread... :)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except that I didn't use the email address of my MP account for the 12 days registration. Was that a requirement in some fine print somewhere?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be an email confirming registration, plus all the daily ones with the links.

If you're not getting these, suspect a typo or some other problem.

6. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Supposed to be in there. I will get someone to add some text.

Responded in the other thread, but this seems to be a glitch for you. Let me know in the other one or send me a DM and will make sure you get entered.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/12-days-of-christmas.107874/#post-2506700 - "The winner will be notified by email and posted on Milepoint"

Wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to spam you.

No worries. We'll still notify you via email if you won and get it figured out.

7. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    It's included on all but the current day. Should be included going forward.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    You are correct, it does not say that and actually did not include such a thing on Saturday or Sundays draw. There was an error in loading files on MailChimp this morning and that was caught and corrected so you won't see it again except for the single snag.

Newscience likes this.
  9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Purpose of the email? We would have no idea which members are interested in each of the days gifts. Some might not be interested in specific items, others might be interested in many to most gifts. As with any browser and website, there are times when you need to refresh your browser since it may cache a specific page, etc. We had nearly 7,000 members enter yesterday for the days drawing so it does seem to have been working correct for them, hopefully the same for you. And no worries about entering more than once if you feel there was a browser error. We use MailChimp, one of the largest email management systems in the world to manage this and their system does detect and merge duplicate entries so the results we see are net. Good luck.

zpaul and Newscience like this.
  10. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all works just fine for me. Also really like being able to pick which items to enter for.

lisamcgu, zpaul, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Uhhhhh. 1) Haste? Actually we've been running three additional Christmas calendars since Dec. 1 (other Christmas calendars run from Dec 1-Dec 24) so surely not any haste nor any last minute idea. Planning started well back in early November to acquire and put the gifts together for the four websites. 2) While we did think about signing in with MP credentials, we are aware that many members go through a constant changing of email addresses (airline frequent flyer programs also lament the same with their members) with a lot of changes from Yahoo and Hotmail to Gmail, etc. and thought we'd make it easier to use your current email address so it increases better deliverability of a winning notice. As for the typo, understand that, but it could also happen when registering to be a member of Milepoint to begin with as well. 3) Spam you? Actually you really never have to come back at all, we email the members who have won without the necessity of them having to check the thread. The first winner would tell you that he was contacted via email, so would the 10 winners from yesterday who actually haven't had their user names posted yet. As for spam, while we had a single snag this morning with a MailChimp file (noted above), no one was spammed either on Sat or Sun and likely not the rest of the 12 days. You can opt in to receive daily reminders and we're so pro-member, that in the daily reminder we actually include what the daily prize is rather than forcing you to come to the website to see. We thought we'd make it easy so that you never have to leave the comfort of your email tool to decide whether a trip to Milepoint was worth it or not for the daily gift.

zpaul, IDGflygirl, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The hoarder in me basically forces me to enter every day. (though I admit I did think twice about that luggage tag today)

Newscience and JennB like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it turns some of those 7,000 into active members (again).

14. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thank you, that's the way it is supposed to work. By including the daily item in the email updates, you can decide if the gift works for you or not and if not, then you don't have to make a special visit to Milepoint. Friendly is friendly. Good luck.

P.S. I'll even give you a sneak on tomorrow ... a sterling silver Starbucks card that you can use and collect.

lisamcgu, zpaul, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  15. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha! Well I'm already EE with National and also already have that tag on my car key ring.

Newscience likes this.
  16. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Funny thing about the luggage tag. It is the most identifiable item i use when seeing luggage come out of the conveyor belt and it is also one of the most asked about items when traveling ... "where did you get that"? From my perspective, it is one of the most utility items we have this year, though 100,000 hotel points is pretty rewarding.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I rarely check a bag (though this month I will have checked back cross the pond four times). I was more thinking that it would be for a carry-on bag.

Newscience and Randy Petersen like this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, yes, that makes sense; I wouldn't bother to enter for status that I already have (and reduce chances for others who could use it).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    lisamcgu, Newscience and kwai like this.
  19. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Missed Executive membership so was hoping Santa would be good to me today.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  20. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Btw, would love to see names of all winners listed even on days with 50 or more. Just for fun...

21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Well, at some point after midnight tonight I'll be clicking though Random.org seeking those 50 and will post once i have sent a 'winner' email to them. And yes, somewhere around 1:37 a.m. i will still consider it fun ... Future winners rejoice.

Newscience, Flyer1976, Brit and 3 others like this.
  22. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Not really. Member @Dave99 would like to gift you his Executive status membership—the joys of a friendly membership.

23. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Missed the $500 Hyatt gift certificate so was hoping Santa would be good to me today.

:D

25. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Missed the $500 Hyatt gift certificate so hope Santa is kind to me tomorrow with the silver starbucks card .... :p