11th annual BRT - Saturday June 4, 2011

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by dhammer53, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seats available (edited May 28)

Pick up location
    Departure at 10:00am from the Grand Central Terminal area. Please arrive between 9:30 - 9:45.

234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.
    ===============================================

If you're running late,here's directions to our first stop in Brooklyn. Here's the information now, just in case.

Take the #2 or the #3 train to Clark Street. This is the 7th Ave/Broadway train. It's the first stop in Brooklyn.
    When you exit, ask anyone where the Promenade is. It's ~ 7 minute walk.

You can also take the #4 or #5 train (runs under Lexington Ave on the east side) to Borough Hall. That's the first stop in Brooklyn. Ask anyone where the Promenade is.

================================================== ====

Seats still available. The House of Miles has sent me a box of the very famous Flyertalk yellow luggage tags for distribution. Thank you SanDiego 1k.

Announcing the 11th annual dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour aka BRT.

June 4, 2011.

The first 10 Brooklyn Tours were sellouts. BRT 4 - 7 I rented an airport type shuttle van. Last year we had a 50 passenger coach bus. We split the cost. The cost will be about $49. per person based on a full bus of 50 passengers. Once again, the tour will include a limited edition, dare I say, collectible cap.

Paypal details to be announced at a later date.

FYI, Catman will once again host the SoupDo on Friday night.
    We'll have WineDo 4 on Sunday evening.

Pick up 10:00 Saturday morning in the Grand Central Terminal neighborhood. Drop-off at 10:00pm. We have a tradition of departing ontime.

Besides touring Brooklyn (my home town), we eat, and eat, and eat. Can you say 'real' Brooklyn pizza? Can you say 'delicious' bakery goodies? Just ask any of the folks who have been on this tour. We drive. We tour. We eat.

If you're new to Flyertalk, the tour is a great way to make new friends.
    At the end of the BRT tours 2 - 10, we went for dinner at an authentic Italian place in an authentic Italian neighborhood. Lots of jewelry showing. This may or may not happen this year. All depends on the number of attendees.

Figure about $25- $30 a person if we do a sit down lunch or dinner. This is less than what you would pay in Manhattan; and twice the portion. The show is better than the food. If we do lunch, the cost will be $15 - $20. Details to be worked out.

Please note, last year I switched lunch and dinner. The sit down was lunch. 2011 plans will depend on how many riders come along.

The lunch/dinner will be open to everyone. If you're not on the Tour, you'll have to take the subway to the restaurant. It's about 40 minutes and $2.25 one way. Several years ago, we had a few hitch-hikers on the van back to Manhattan.

Start planning now. Springtime in New York is beautiful. Consider yourself invited.

If you've been on the tour before and want to go again, please sign up, and consider yourself waitlisted. If you're from New York, you're waitlisted too. Thinking about bringing a friend or relative? They have no status; so we'll have to wait and see if they clear the DM list. All of the above lists will clear by May 15. Don't wait to decide.

Past tour highlights include:

2001...poor AnnaS having a cold.
    2002...Lisamcgu making us stop for White castle hamburgers.
    2003...mjm insisting on a Starbucks break. After I stopped laughing at him for thinking that Brooklyn would even have a Starbucks... we found one.
    2004...gorging on food at marysunshine's house...and this was a snack!
    2005...cawhite knocking on the door of my childhood home; while I ducked for cover. It was a priceless moment. Details towards the last page of the 2005 thread. Also, a Tony Soprano type sitting at the bar added some extra flavor to our experience.
    2006...Our van squeezing past a doubleparked car on a side street. You can just imagine the typical Brooklyn swearing. Also, the tour getting its 15 minutes of fame on Cable television News 12 Brooklyn. Check it out http://news12.com/BK/topstories/article?id=175940# use name: dhammer53ft, password: flyertalk (may not work).
    2007... When cawhites 'friend' Larry (the guy who always sits at the bar), checked us out!
    2008... "I had no intention of stopping at my childhood home. As we approached, I told the driver to slow down, then stop. Seems the front door was wide open. I took this as a sign from above. I stopped the bus.
    A couple of years back, cawhite knocked on the door. I ducked for cover. This year I was apprehensive as I approached. When I told the woman that she bought the house from my Mom, she said in typical Brooklyn fashion whats her name? When I responded, she had a big smile for me.
    This may have been the moment on BRT 8. Every year, there's always one moment that's noteworthy".

2009... We were filmed throughout the day for a documentary. Maybe it'll even come out one of these days.

Note:

We rotate seats on the bus. Seat 1A is reserved for a couple of long time attendees (yes, that means you).
    We make plenty of stops.
    New Yorkers are 'standby' for the tour. Preference goes to out-of-towners.

No talking miles and points when I'm (ahem) lecturing on Brooklyn.

It takes a certain type of person to put up with other Flyertalkers for an entire day. If you're looking for an excuse to visit NY (Brooklyn) in June, the dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour is it.

Please post below if you're interested. I've met a few of you along the road this past year and you have 'dibs' if you're interested in joining us for a fun day in Brooklyn.

If you're interested in coming along, I need you to pm me your:

-Handle and real name.
    -Hotel you're staying at, when available.
    -Cell #

The 2007 thread here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=brooklyn

2008 Trip Report here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839107

2009 thread ... 9th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. June 13, 2009 Saturday

2010 thread 10th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. Saturday June 12, 2010 Post 346 has a brief report.
    Photos in 317 by tom911.

The 2006 thread here 2006 dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour takes place...
    It's good background info for any first timers; or, anyone feeling nostalgic.

Note to new riders... I would suggest reading the 2010 thread to get a peak at what you can expect.

First come, first served.

FYI... Randy will make a $10 donation per rider to the Susan B. Komen Foundation. http://ww5.komen.org/

Randy will be onboard the BRT this year. After all these years of my pestering him, he's finally coming to Brooklyn.

Dan

So Far:

dhammer53 + 1 *
    Randy *
    magic111 *
    KathyWdrf *
    weinskkb *
    tcook052 *
    Art234 +1 * <<< can't make it.
    Christian
    From NYC *
    FortFun *
    Punki + 1 *
    Hunki +1 *
    2lovelife * (Seanthepilot) <<< can't make it.
    ralfkrippner *
    Tkey * +1 *
    bhatnasx *

cawhite * <<< can't make it.
    iluv2fly
    Luvtworce + 2 *
    CMK10 *
    paranoiatx *
    mnmag *
    cholula +1 *
    JerseyJoe +1 *
    Benny8444 *
    BonnieSea *
    msv * < << <<< can't attend.
    MarshKing *
    jbcarioca *
    HPN-HRL *
    usirritated *
    bdnyc *
    gipsss *
    MSPeconomist
    Top of climb *
    yunicorner * +1 *
    firstglobal *

Maybe
    Canarsie +1

If you're counting, there are 42 riders so far.

Waitlist
    Some of the above will cancel. Last year I managed to clear the entire list.

juammer + 1

You're about to lose your seat since I haven't heard back from you:

NYC101
    jayeis
    chollie

Maybe

A possible guest.

* = 42 Paid

lisamcgu, cfischer, SC Flier and 3 others like this.
  2. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year for the announced last BRT ever I posted a pic of me from the Churchhill in London wishing you all a great time on the last BRT ever. Check out the cool tee :D
    [​IMG]

So sign me up for the first ever BRT after the last ever BRT :D

BTW if you have virgins that have never traveled I'll be willing to give up my seat and just travel with the others frequent BRTers meeting the bus at the eat, eat, and eat places. But do expect an autographed hat for the extended generosity. :)

3. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to attend BRT11 also.

jbcarioca and lisamcgu like this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, Dan, but can't make this one. I'm due home from OzFest the day before (3 different flights and one long day). Maybe the stars will line up for me to attend BRT 2012 just before the Olympics. Can I designate magic111 as the replacement photographer?

5. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to see about work plans surrounding the date, but put me down as a maybe, and of course waitlisted since I'm a repeat. :)

6. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Count me is, Dan, and I'm riding solo. Looking forward to the event!

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard folks. In due time, I'll add your names to the list.

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Place saver.

9. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    JoAnn and I are in!!!!

lisamcgu likes this.
  10. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Count me in, please, for my first BRT.

12. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Woohoo! A BRT I can attend. [​IMG]

I'm so there!

13. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sigh, can't make this one.

lisamcgu likes this.
  14. fozz
    Original Member

fozz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to attend as well

15. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    for those that have never done this definitely do it!

I had the pleasure of joining Dan and everyone else on the bus last year and it was one hell of a trip!

in fact enjoy the whole weekend with the soup do, BRT and the wine do!

16. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please add me to the list. And a +1. I may drag my Brooklyn resident sister along. :D

17. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I say Punki +1 and Hunki +1? We would very much like to bring our sweet daughter and her partner who are relatively new citizens of Brooklyn.

jbcarioca, lisamcgu and Hunki like this.
  18. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of clarity.....

I understand what you posted but... you said +1, then you said I may. Some readers may understand this to mean that you're a party of 3, while others will think you're a party of 2.

As the list of riders get longer, I urge posters to be 100% clear. This happens every year. As I like to say in my FT Coupon Connection thread, spell out the details. Thank you for your consideration.

19. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. Please confirm me for now. I will solicit interest from my sister and if there is room at the time, we'll add her in. Will that work?

lisamcgu likes this.
  20. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to it Dan (#3 for me). See you there!

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    gleff and my +1 is a milepoint member, msgleff. PM on the way! Thanks, Dan!!

22. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And in this now locked thread (the first one on MP) http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/brooklyn-reality-tour-aka-brt-11-june-2011.342/ Randy said:

I hereby commit getting on the bus and as a bonus, let's make this a Ride For the Cure. For every member that rides along on this, i will donate $10 per member into the general fund of MilePoint Cares and earmark it for donation to the Susan G. Koman Foundation.

Just in case you didn't know, I've been pestering Randy for years to join us on the BRT. Since we all know that Randy operates on Randy time :D, I'm excited that he found the time to finally join the Brooklyn Reality Tour.

Randy will be the only person allowed to talk... while I'm lecturing about Brooklyn. ;)

jbcarioca, lisamcgu and tcook052 like this.
  23. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Put me down as a very definite maybe, [​IMG]

lisamcgu likes this.
  24. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will not be attending the BRT, but we are maybes for the WineDo! Too early to say for sure.

lisamcgu likes this.
  25. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a whole side of MP with which I am not familiar. But sounds like a great weekend. Please count me in ... the schedule looks accommodating.

lisamcgu likes this.