11hrs in PVG (Shanghai)?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by cotter77, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    anyone know how to spend 11 hours layover in Shanghai? is it possible to get on that maglev and make it into one fun area of the city and enjoy some time there?

savydog likes this.
  2. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    On what to do in Shanghai

Sorry, can't help you in that regard but the following information will be of important and useful to you in ventuing out of the airport on your stopover.

On getting out of the airport

From what I know due to previous research where I considered a long transit stop, yes - with a caviat.

If you are a national of Singapore, Brunei or Japan, you do not require a visa to visit China.

If the above doesn't match your scenairo, you do not already hold a visa for PRC, and are a national of one of the following countries, you a permitted a visa-free 48hr stopover in Shanghai and can leave the airport (see point 2, visa free transit):
    • Republic of Korea,
    • United States,
    • Canada,
    • Australia,
    • New Zealand,
    • Germany,
    • France,
    • Netherlands,
    • Belgium,
    • Luxemburg,
    • Portugal,
    • Spain,
    • Italy,
    • Austria,
    • Greece,
    • Sweden,
    • Denmark,
    • Norway,
    • Finland, and
    • Iceland.
    (would have included advice specific to your situation, but your member profile doesn't indicate what country you're from)

If none of the aforementioned scenairos apply to you, then you must apply in advance of your trip for a Transit Visa (G Visa) to exit the airport on your stopover. US ordinary processing time is four (4) days, with one (1) day turnaround available for an additional fee.

Processing times and fees will differ from country to country, so consult the website for your local Chinese embassy for details. A full list of their embassy sites can be found at: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/wjb/zwjg/2490/

If you don't apply for a visa beforehand, expect to spend your transit inside the airport. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 Dollars in your home currency.

On riding the maglev

Yes, this is an 8min trip into town - however the maglev line ends at Longyang Road in Pudong which puts you another 20min away from the CBD by subway.

Still, only 30min from the airport which will leave you a good 9hrs to enjoy Shanghai and have a wander around to make the most of your long connection.

A standard round-trip ticket will set you back 80 yuan, and 160 yuan for the VIP cabin. Nothing special about this, and considering the journey is only 8min I wouldn't see the point.

Storing bags

If your airline won't store your checked luggage, or you have some carry-on you don't wish to lug around - then left luggage services are available.

Thanks to gTranslate, here's the translated details on the service from PVG's website.

taiwaned, savydog, lin821 and 3 others like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Even though it is spelled out in the link you provided, I wanted to reiterate here in the thread for those who are seeking the information:

The 48 hour rule is for TRANSITING passengers only. You cannot buy a ticket to PVG, stay for 2 days, and then head back home. You are only allowed to arrive in PVG for the 48 hour time frame if you are connecting to an onward flight out of China.

There are a few posts on other forums where travelers have been denied boarding under the assumption the 48 hour rule was applicable without a connecting flight and they ended up very unhappy. :eek:

savydog, lin821, MSPeconomist and 2 others like this.
  4. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a good point to reiterate, however as the OP had clearly specifed it was a layover I reasonably assumed they would already have their outbound connection thus getting into this level of detail wasn't necessary.

savydog likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well I figured OP might be mileage running since there have been quite a few good fares to PVG due to UA and AA starting routes from LAX, and in that case the 11 hour layover is still part of a single roundtrip. Just wanted to cover all the bases. Plus this post becomes part of the historical record and searchable database, so you never know who will see the information going forward. Either way, I didn't want to see anyone struggle in PVG without a connection. :)

6. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, China isn't a nation whose laws I'd wish to become tangled in.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My instinct on reading the OP was the same as yours. It cannot be stressed enough that the visa-free transit program is for passengers continuing on to a third country from PVG and does not apply to those having China as their destination. If you are, for example, flying USA-PVG-USA, you MUST apply in advance for a visa in order to be able to leave the airside area of the airport.

savydog likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A cheaper way is to ride the Maglev in on direction only and use the (newish) ordinary subway line in the other directions. It's unfortunate that there's nothing near the Maglev station, sometimes not even taxis, and it can be a long taxi ride to the interesting areas.

Definitely go to the Bund, maybe go to the big museum or the art museum depending on your interests, maybe go to the basement history of the city small museum near people's Park, maybe go to the touristy museum (alos about the history of Shanghai) in the basement of the Oriental Pearl Tower, maybe try to stroll around the French Concession,.....

savydog likes this.
  9. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have 11 hours in Shanghai, one of my favorite cities, I would do a bit of each.

- Get a map at an information desk at the airport.
    - Head to Puxi.
    1. Start at Yu Yuan gardens(I would take the maglev, then a taxi. You can try the subway), check out the garden, and the shops all around it. Find a place that sells steamed dumplins. Eat. Enjoy! Walk around the little streets around the market if you are the urban photographer type person.

2. Make your way to the Bund (you can walk from the garden to there). Walk the length of it. Get great views of Pudong!

3. You could have dinner/lunch at a couple of the hotel restaurants along the Bund. Check trip advisor. Walk on Nanjing Street (it ends on the Bund) towards people's square. Check out the square.

4. If you have time, head to Pudong, and go up the Pearl Tower, or, I think the new tallest building in Shanghai has a deck. If it is a very hazy day (most of the time it is), it may not be worth it.

5. If you have the energy, and time (I doubt it at this point), and you wanna buy some cheap nock offs, take the subway (blue line I think?) to the market below the Science and Technology museum. Bargain. Bargain. Bargain.

6. Head back to the airport with an assortment of coach purses, bootleg copies of rosetta stone, and soccer/football jerseys.

Hope you have a good trip!

savydog likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go shopping, be aware that some countries are getting tough about trademark protection. Cheap fake copies of expensive name-branded items can be confiscated at customs when you re-enter your own country.

savydog and Ygor like this.
  11. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true, but copies of Rosetta Stone are the best money you can spend.
    Also, there are plenty of no name things the OP could shop for. And sports jerseys are pretty ok.

savydog likes this.
  12. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    actually no MR, just a return award from DPS/BKK

savydog likes this.
  13. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for advice
    this is helpful
    been to Shanghai once in 2007 and saw the pearl and went to top of the neighboring sktscraper. Didnt really get to appreciate the Bund when I was there. it was under major construction for the world expo.
    maybe a good cheap foot massage would be in order too

savydog, MSPeconomist and Ygor like this.
  14. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved walking the Bund and Nanjing street not for the shops (they could be in anytown USA) but for all the people watching :) I cannot wait to go back and this time take my DH along and just tour around seeing all those amazing shapes of skyscrapers

savydog and Bonnie like this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Bund construction is mostly completed. It's gorgeous, but unfortunately frequently quite crowded. Try to duck into the restored Peace Hotel. Also, I think it's interesting to go a bit beyond the far end of the Bund and cross over the small river/creek to see a few other old classic hotels, unfortunately/fortunately not so restored. Be sure to walk on both the river side and the building side, and don't be afraid to stick your head into some of the bank and office buildings to view the interiors, at least the entry/lobby areas, including the ceilings.

savydog likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great point- and some EU countries are applying very steep fines as well (i.e. Italy with 1000 EUR fine).

savydog likes this.
  17. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points: