1184 SJC-DFW 10/6 Go Around

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DCtrAAveler, Oct 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know if there is a site where airport incidents are recorded? I was on AA1184 yesterday evening SJC-DFW, and on approach we had to abort our initial landing and go around for a second approach. The captain indicated that the cause was another aircraft crossing the runway. I would assume something like that would get reported somewhere and I'm curious to read any more detail about what might have happened.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you mean report it to the government regulatory agencies, the pilots and airlines would be responsible for filing a report as weel as ATC.

If you mean some travel website, try airliners.net, where professional pilots often discuss more serious incidents. However, many go arounds are not considered to be very serious.

3. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airliners.net may be your best bet like MSP mentioned.

Go-Arounds happen every day around the country and 9 out of 10 are either a blown taxi instruction or tight spacing on final, leading to a go around if the prior a/c can't clear the runway fast enough.

-MO

4. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    don't think this will help in your case, but if anything actually important happens you can find it here: http://avherald.com/

5. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's a completely normal occurrence. Either an aircraft which landed previously didn't clear fast enough, or as was said, someone was too slow taxiing across the runway.
    It could also be that an aircraft was cleared onto the runway for takeoff and didn't move fast enough.

6. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, all. Was just curious more than anything. Haven't had that happen to a flight I've been on before and didn't know quite how frequent an occurrence incursions are. I'll poke around on the links you provided and see if anything turns up. Cheers. :)

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My last go around was on a QF A380. I kept thinking "I hope this plane's fat a$$ can get back up...!" :)

basiface and DCtrAAveler like this.
  8. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah they're normal and as much as an annoyance they can be (especially on long flights) we don't like it either because it throws off the flow and adds to your workload. Look at them as a reassurance that the system works:) If you really want to hear your particular go around look here http://www.liveatc.net/ DFW has two towers so you'll have to check both frequencies. Oh, yes they are logged and reported by ATC.

DCtrAAveler likes this.