110-minute layover in GRU (Sao Paulo - Guarulhos) - too short?

Discussion in 'Airports' started by ZZZ, Oct 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ZZZ

ZZZ Active Member

Status Points:
    All,

Long-time listener, first-time caller here. I will be flying through GRU next month en route to Brasilia (BSB). I am on two separate tickets -- one from IAD to GRU, and a second from GRU to BSB. I won't be checking luggage. I have two choices for scheduling -- either a 110-minute layover, or a 4-hour layover. Obviously, I would prefer the shorter option, but does anyone here have enough experience with GRU to know whether 110 minutes is generally sufficient to clear immigration and customs, and then go through security again in the domestic terminal?

Thanks!
    -Jeff

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't risk it- I would go with the 4 hour option. You 90% won't need it, however a couple of times recently I have waited 2 hours at immigration (huge queues).

3. ZZZ

ZZZ Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much -- I've been in long lines at Brazilian ports of entry, but don't usually go through GRU. Much as it pains me to waste several hours at that airport, it's better than being stranded there overnight.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you end up with too much extra time you could always pop into the day spa or the day hotel- I have done that once. Usually though my domestic flights are through Congonhas airport.

P.S. likes this.
  5. ZZZ

ZZZ Active Member

Status Points:
    Just as a follow-up, I took the later flight and was glad I did. The IAD-GRU flight arrived 40 minutes late, and I was held up at passport control for a computer problem. Had I been on the earlier flight, I would have missed it.

So -- thanks for the good advice!

TRAVELSIG and P.S. like this.