11 miles per dollar US Airways

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Mrlasssen, Dec 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today I received an email offer from Barclays. Spend $500 each month, January, February, and March and receive a 15,000 mile bonus. Card renewal is due in January. That is 16,500 miles for $1,500 spend, or 11 miles per dollar. So watch your emails and renew you card.

TAHKUCT, satman40, icurhere2 and 2 others like this.
  2. notbgates
    Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very clever: extend the window-to-spend past the (annual fee must-be-paid) renewal time frame.
    Probably even if you make the buy threshold before renewal date, miles won't post until after, and will be
    lost if not renewed; so 16,500 miles for $1,500 spend + renewal cost (same cost, but no more $99
    companion fares, free lounge passes, etc).

satman40 likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure Barclay does not want to lose their customers. I am curious what their retention offers would be, especially once we move to the Barclay AAdvantage card.

satman40 and icurhere2 like this.
  4. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I read the $99 companion pass will remain along with the lounge pass, except valid at AA lounges. Also, understand you will get the 10% rebate on AA awards up to 10K a year.

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called to cancel my card the other day, will not be up,for renewal till April.

They offered to refund the $89.00 fee paid if
    I keep the card open, will,take the statement credit.

I also wonder what the offers after the merger will be,

vickers likes this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had two of such offers in the past 12 months and neither has overlapped with annual fee due date.

icurhere2 likes this.
  7. notbgates
    Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Status Points:
    "QUOTE="Mrlasssen, post: 2516420, member: 96966"]From what I read the $99 companion pass will remain along with the lounge pass, except valid at AA lounges. Also, understand you will get the 10% rebate on AA awards up to 10K a year.[/QUOTE]
    The snailmail USAirways/Barclaycard sent me states "be sure to take advantage of your FINAL US Airways Club day passes and Companion Certificate that will be mailed to you...in 2015" (emphasis mine) Also states "Please note these other existing features...expiring in coming months: (credit card spend) miles towards preferred status / First class check-in / redeem award travel for 5,00 fewer miles". Nothing about being replaced by AA day passes, AA companion certs, etc.
    So, post merger, the "exiting new benefits" (their phrase, not mine) don't exactly trump the desirable existing benefits, IMO.
    If the retention desk waives the fee though, it would be worth keeping to not take the credit score hit by flipping to CITIBANK CC.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  8. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any ideas on this switch? I currently have the Barclays us airways world MasterCard as a free upgrade. Will I get a AA advantage world MasterCard when this card switches or just the regular MasterCard

9. notbgates
    Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the same offer: Spend $500 each month, February, March, and April and receive a 15,000 mile bonus. Seems like a good deal to me. I will be participating.

11. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the $750 per month offer at the end of Dec.