10K Bonus Points Package at HIX Fifth Avenue

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Explore, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Usually I ignore the bonus points packages, because they don't pencil out at my admittedly conservative valuation of PC points (0.6 cents each).

But this package is different. First, I've never seen a bonus points package exceeding 4K points before. Second, the spread between this rate and the lowest published rate is often only about $40. Last night I paid $164 before tax, and in February $134. These are low rates for Manhattan even if no bonus points are offered. If you're looking to requalify for Plat fast, this is a great way to do it.

Manhattan hotel rates jump all over the map, often coming down to earth just a few days before your stay. Best to remain flexible by never booking an non-cancellable advance purchase rate unless there's a blockbuster event in town. That applies to this package too. I won't bite unless it's well under $200.

The hotel is the Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue, just off 5th on West 45th, NYC. 125 rooms on 22 floors, just 6 rooms per floor and no suites. They take care of Plat members by putting them on high floors and providing a small amenity bag (bottled water, Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies, excellent Manhattan map). Late checkout OK, standard HIX breakfast is decent, no fitness room so get your exercise walking the streets.

Do any other IHG properties offer bonus packages of more than 4K points?
    NewCokeandTaco likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Individual properties have often offered similarly high bonus points to encourage bookings during very slow periods. Agree NYC prices can jump all over the place. I've stayed at central HIXs for $130 a night and later found the same property asking $250 a night! Must be in NYC in mid-May and the lowest rate anywhere is in the $250 to $450 range but was able to get award nights at the HI Wall Street for 15K a night! Stayed at this property a few weeks back and it was quite acceptable, upgraded to one of their larger rooms on a high floor. Nice wood floors, large bathroom. There's a good diner just down the street where a hearty breakfast can be had for about $11! Two blocks from the subway uptown, so a value alternative to the 25K a night uptown properties.